New
Find
Notify
Tools

They don't write songs about Volvos...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post

My knockout blonde neighbor's daughter drove one of these. Even the same color! I lusted after her but not the car. Although it does have unique looks.

Still, as far as I know, they didn't write a song about it. "She's real fine, my Volvo 1800." Nah, just doesn't have that American muscle ring to it. Cool

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
"Most "10 second cars" back in the day would have ran a 13 second 1/4 mile.
Most "13 second cars" back in the day would have ran a 15 second 1/4 mile.

Tires did NOT hook back then, cars weren't usually kept in ultimate tunes, and the actual performance of an untouched original musclecar would never rival what these cars claim to run nowadays....

Original (REAL STOCK) musclecars were alot slower than many people pretend. They were cool, had tons of character, but EVERYBODY has a neighbour with a "stock 13 second Duster"....

I think big block musclecars that actually could RUN a 13 second 1/4 mile time, dead stock, were very few and far between."

There have been a lot of tests done since back in the day, where cars were matched up in factory stock form, same day, same driver, same track. I don't recall the Dodge/Plymouth units making any big splash in any of them. I do remember seeing at least one of those where the hemi got trounced by it's own brother, the 440.

Cars nowadays are a bunch faster than their old counterparts.

I was realizing that a few days ago as I was helping a neighbor rebuild the one barrel carb on his six-cylinder early mustang.

And "six in a row will make her go."

I couldn't help but think about how the 4.0 SOHC V6 base engine in the current Mustang has it beat 10 ways from Sunday. Probably the 289, too.

I personally think Ford tones down that engine to boost sales of the V8s. But even so, with a set of headers, a good exhaust, a chip and a blower, that thing will run in the 12s. No problem.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by China Fleet Sailor:
I was helping a neighbor rebuild the one barrel carb on his six-cylinder early mustang.

His name isn't Sally is it?

Mustang Sally, think you better slow your mustang down.
You been running all over the town now.
Oh! I guess I'll have to put your flat feet on the ground.

All you want to do is ride around Sally, ride, Sally, ride.

One of these early mornings, oh, you gonna be wiping your weeping eyes.
I bought you a brand new mustang 'bout nineteen sixty six.
Now you come around signifying a woman, you don't wanna let me ride.

Mustang Sally, think you better slow your mustang down.
You been running all over the town now.
Oh! I guess I'll have to put your flat feet on the ground.

All you want to do is ride around Sally, ride, Sally, ride.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by China Fleet Sailor:
Oldsmobile. Now there's a car I wouldn't kick out of bed for eating crackers.

What I wouldn't do for a '64 442 would get me executed in most places.

Actually, I'd commit a capitol crime for anything up to a '72.

My Grandmothers sister had one of early 70s vintage I believe. She and all of her sisters lived in the same small town with the youngest driving the Olds and the others driving late 60s Buick Lesabres (one 4 door sedan and the other a coupe). The Lesabres are long gone as the all the sisters have died, but my cousin still parks his mother's olds between his 1986 Corvette (15,000 miles) and his Escalade.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Funny how those decades produced so many really good car songs...... especially originating from the USA.

There was: Little GTO, 409 and all the stuff from the Beach Boys and Jan & Dean and a shed load more.... and all such great music.

Then the British chimed in with their contribution of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The P1800 is on my A list. We finally agree on something!

Wymply the liberal loves a P1800...

and a conservative like me, would want an old 444 Volvo instead... Big Grin

Go figure...

Wymply I'll concede you have more class evidently than I do when it comes to old Vintage Volvos... popcorn

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are, of course, forgetting that this is the USA. For the entire rest of the world (yes folks there is a rest of the world, 4 billion of them) the Volvo was, and always has been the premiere rallying car, especially the P1800. No, straight line acceleration was not it's strong point, doesn't need to be is a car rally over several weeks.
Just my 2 cents, Peter.
PS. Didn't a P1800 recently finish 2 million miles? Try that in your Mustang!

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Peter, one did...a 66 Model I believe..

quite familiar with the P 1800, in fact that use to be the car driven by "The Saint" played by Roger Moore in the early to Mid 60s in England..
my favorite English TV show, besides StepToe and Son, and "Z'ed Cars" as the English like to call the Letter Z...

never owned an 1800 but have driven many and worked on many for friends who owned them but didn't know how to do mechanical stuff..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't recollect any songs about Saabs either, yet they and Volvos were the main competition for the Sunbeam Talbot in the car rallies of the 50's and 60's. I recollect one woman, Sheila Van Dam who was one of the top ralleirs (ralliests?). Just a blast from the past, Peter.
PS. Perhaps only Americans write (and sing) songs about their cars. Never heard a song about "My Renault" or "My Peugeot"!

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
quote:
The P1800 is on my A list. We finally agree on something!

Wymply the liberal loves a P1800...

and a conservative like me, would want an old 444 Volvo instead... Big Grin

Go figure...

Wymply I'll concede you have more class evidently than I do when it comes to old Vintage Volvos... popcorn

Don't be too sure. The only thing "sporty" that I have is a 1986 Pontiac Fiero with a 3800 stuffed into it. It is pretty quick and a blast. A short while ago I owned a Nissan 300ZX, and it was so unreliable I damn near gave it away. My kids constantly borrow the Fiero, (it is gone right now) but none of them ever showed interest in the Nissan. It lacked a cool factor.

Posts: 15867 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vaguely recall reading a few years ago that the Beach Boys had no specail interest in cars, and were not up on what was going on.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back again. Just to let you know, though not into racing as much as several here, I did buy a new 1969 Dodge Charger 440 R/T. Got it with a slush pump because they wouldn't put AC together with a four speed. Shame. It topped out at 146 mph, and I ate several Camaro SS's with it. Once when I was pulling a trailer loaded with furniture. In those days, it was all about cubic inches.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/0...-on-3-million-miles/

Not bad Irv ! That one's worth a song. tu2

I had a 122S but the handling especially in the rain and snow left much to be desired !

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
[quote]Cars nowadays are a bunch faster than their old counterparts.[/quote]

OK fellas I'm not a car guy. Is it true that the current machines are faster then 60s and 70 muscle cars?
Most of the current production looks like suppositories on wheels.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on how limited production or specialized the car is you want to talk about and how much money you want to spend.

All I know is today

The brakes are WAY BETTER
The TIRES are WAY BETTER
ditto suspensions
ditto ignitions
We also have traction control systems if you can imagine driving one of these cars in rain, ice or snow.
The engines are much more economical with gas but are expensive when they break.
They put out about twice the HP per cubic inch if you can stand to turn your car up to the red line.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use to help a guy work on a 67 P 1800..

he offered it to me cheap when they came out with those P1800 station wagon looking things in 72...

his dad was an exec with Volvo in NJ....

I had driven it multiple times...and wasn't really impressed, so I declined it...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Jag dealer in Boise shares space with MB, Porsche, and Range Rover and Volvo. The owner has a meticulously restored P1800 about British Racing Green in color.

But we are agreed: they don't write songs about Volvos..."

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the other hand:

"I took my Cobra down to the track..."
and

"I was cruisin' in my Stingray late one night..."

Is there an adult here that can't recite from memory the next couple lines of those two songs?

I think not!

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think big block musclecars that actually could RUN a 13 second 1/4 mile time, dead stock, were very few and far between."

The 440 wedge motors had much more low-end torque than the 426 hemi as they came off the dealer's lot, and they didn't have to have new spark plugs every two weeks. There were never any more than a half-dozen cars that would run low 14s in the stock condition (AMC's SC/Rambler was one of the few).

I've lost touch nowadays, seems like the newer cars with injected 6-liter engines should be pretty quick...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14370 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote