Tools

They don't write songs about Volvos...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tach it up, tach it up

Buddy gonna shut you down

It happened on the strip where the road is wide

Two cool shorts standin' side by side (heads up street racing, big advantage for the bigger engined Dodge)

Yeah, my fuel injected Stingray and a four-thirteen

Revvin' up our engines and it sounds real mean

Declinin' numbers at an even rate

At the count of one we both accelerate

My Stingray is light, the slicks are startin' to spin

But the four-thirteen's really diggin' in

Gotta be cool now power shift here we go

Superstock Dodge is windin' out in low (pushbutton slushbox?)

But my fuel injected Stingray's really startin' to go

To get the traction I'm ridin' the clutch

My pressure plate's burnin' that machine's too much

Pedal's to the floor hear the dual quads drink (like a 64oz Slurpee)

And now the four-thirteen's lead is startin' to shrink

He's hot with ram induction but it's understood

I got a fuel injected engine sittin' under my hood (327/375hp)

Shut it off, shut it off, buddy now I shut you down (the inevitable outcome)

All ya hear from Chrysler for decade upon decade is hemi this and hemi that. Makes me wonder why other manufacturers have not jumped onto the hemispherical combustion chamber bandwagon if that design is soo much better? Even if patented, they must have run out since the early '50's when Desoto put a 331 cube hemi in their family cars. Although I have heard they make terrific boat anchors. animal

Or perhaps Mopar is like a one trick pony...what else do they have to fall back on? The mighty 273 or the slant six?

Al Bundy drove a Dodge. A car that oft times had to be pushed to go, and needed to smash into the garage wall to stop. What a legacy.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the Hemi never made much of an impression on motorsports.......Top Fuel ring a bell? Dominated NASCAR until it was out f production and handicapped to death.

You're a KoolAde dinkin' Chevy guy, admit it Dave. I've owned all of them and they all have their charms. But Mopar did a lot more than you may think. Chevy has a much better aftermarket, but mass production normally does. Before you accuse me of bias, I drive a GMC truck each and every day.

Now, unless that Dodge was on skinny bias plys while the Vette was on slicks, the Max Wedge would have kicked its teeth in. I'm sure the Beach Boys were driving Corvettes (definitely sexier), or the outcome of that fantasy race would have been different! jumping

Oh, and any time you want to line that Vette up against by little Barracuda, you let me know! LOL!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
Or perhaps Mopar is like a one trick pony...what else do they have to fall back on?

Maybe the most sinister package car for street racing comes to mind.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The real story

Gotta take hollywood out of it.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No 60's car songs about the vaunted 'hemi.' Maybe cause nothing rhymed with hemi?

I'm just saying, I'm getting sick of all these hemi TV commercials...you'd think it was the greatest thing to come out of Detroit since the Model T. Which makes me wonder why Dodge didn't put one in their world beater Viper? If it was a matter of that boat anchor engine weight, they could have cast the major parts out of aluminum. But Mopar came out with a 10 cylinder powerplant instead. Yet they don't advertise it in their TV ads. Wonder why? I suppose Chrysler is milking this hemi crap for all its worth while anyone still remembers what a superstock Dodge was...that tiny little niche of the drag crowd. But from all their TV ads, you'd think the majority of the grocery-getters of the day had a hemi under the hood. It makes me wanna puke. Thank goodness my remote clicker can direct me to another channel right quick.

Back in the Beach Boys' day, what drag race sanctioning body would run a 413-engined anything straight up against a mouse-motored Sting Ray? There was no 'dial in your time' bracket racing in those days. Your car was factored by the fastest time in your group, ie, an A stock Dodge would never run heads up against a D stock Sting Ray. But that Beach Boys' song was about run-what-ya-brung street drags. Which, I might add, was never in a million years what ANY Corvette was designed for.

What's more mindless than stab-n-steer-straight a quarter mile at a time? Especially nowadays with automatic shifting, computer controlled engines and transmissions. The only skill is being able to cut a good green light. After that, everything is dialed in by computer. Don't even get me started on braking before the finish line so as not to 'break out' of your time. Although it's no worse than calling a NASCAR car, stock. What a joke on the motorsports crowd.

Oops, gotta go. FedEx just pulled in with my powder/primer order from Graf's. dancing

EDIT: I'm back. Graf's said I had to sign for it. But the delivery dude just said here ya go. So I took the 15# box inside and closed the door. After a few minutes he comes knocking, I need your signature, I need your signature...pause...or I'll get fired. So I obliged. I'm an old softy like that.

Frostbit, if you were serious about selling your car to someone who would pay its true value and appreciate its uniqueness, last months Barrett-Jackson auction would have been the venue. Although I believe they have another one coming up somewhere in California this summer.

Whats-a-whit-worth, no thanks and I don't think I've ever tried to conceal that I'm a Chevy guy. I don't run with the cuda crowd. I wouldn't want the stench to rub off on my car! You keep with your drag buddies and I'll keep with my sports car buddies.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Dave, you sound like a very unhappy and negative person. Why an ad would upset you is beyond me.

There's a lot more to drag racing than cutting a good light. The pro classes now have gone the way of technology, but all of drag racing isn't done in this manner. Keeping a high-powered car, that is fighting traction, accelerating hard, going straight isn't something that everyone is capable of doing. Have you done any drag racing, Dave? And I'm not talking about 13-second Corvettes, but something that'll run a ten or better? Have you? Or have you resorted to your usual tactics of dumping on things you don't know much about or understand?

I really have to ask. Are you that discontent with life that nearly every time you post, it has to be negative? Lighten up, Dave, life is too short.

Semper Fidelis

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:Whats-a-whit-worth, no thanks and I don't think I've ever tried to conceal that I'm a Chevy guy. I don't run with the cuda crowd. I wouldn't want the stench to rub off on my car! You keep with your drag buddies and I'll keep with my sports car buddies.

You don't run with the Cuda crowd because you can't keep up. Dave, get a life. It must suck waking up unhappy every morning.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drive a Jaguar XK-8 convertible. We do not allow tupperware specials on our runs.

Chevrolet never made anything that was competitive until the rules were changed to accomodate them. That's why you never saw 427 Chevelles in NASCAR. That's why you don't see them today in NHRA SS racing. That's the class with the Hemi Darts and Cudas running in the mid-eights these days.
Another modern example: have you seen the new 6 litre+ camaro? 426 horsepower. It's getting hammered by the Boss 302 Mustang. 440 Horsepower. And the Hemi Challenger, 470 horsepower. Chevy = least horsepower and biggest engine.

Chevies are still trying to live on the reputation they made against the flathead Fords in the Arkus-Duntov days.

I was there in the sixties, I saw those cars running around the streets. I engaged in a few of those stop light confrontations in my old Six-Barrel RR from time to time.

Step away from that crack pipe and face reality...

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
Frostbit, if you were serious about selling your car to someone who would pay its true value and appreciate its uniqueness, last months Barrett-Jackson auction would have been the venue. Although I believe they have another one coming up somewhere in California this summer.

I would never enter a car in a no reserve auction anymore than I would put an old English Double on the classifieds here and say the highest bidder by Friday gets it.

Barret/Jackson is nothing more than a bookie taking money on both ends. Buyer and seller both pay.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny how my questions get ignored but I'm asked to answer someone else's. I guess my questions were too thought provoking.

quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
Have you done any drag racing, Dave? And I'm not talking about 13-second Corvettes, but something that'll run a ten or better? Have you?

Yes, but not much faster. In the late 60's a couple of us car and gun nuts rented a house off base since the Navy paid us not to live or eat on base. Directly across a 4 lane, divided highway was a NHRA sanctioned dragstrip. And airport. So sometimes the racing stopped for a Piper Cub to land. animal My rat-motored '57 Nomad ran @ 12.5 flat most times. And almost always got beat by the 2 LS6 '70, still-under-warranty, Chevelles. Except when they blew their clutches.

I was almost beat by a 340 or 360, or something, Duster. Except the bolts from his open headers let go 3 quarters down the strip, the dual exhaust fell under his rear tires and he careened into the side barrier. Shut down. I won king-of-the-hill that day in the heads up, run what ya brung competition. I got a blue ribbon and a free pit pass for my efforts. Yipee.

So yeah, I have a limited amount of experience albeit a long time ago. But that same station wagon flat towed a '61 Corvette 1400 miles from south Georgia to Connecticut. Many of the cars that are dragged on a regular basis are modded so much that they practically can't be street driven...usually because of their low differential ratio. That rationale made my mind up for me when given the decision of which to keep, the Vette or the Nomad. I know I made the right choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
That's why you never saw 427 Chevelles in NASCAR.

That's funny cause I did. In the late 60's in Georgia. A 427 powered '67 Chevelle in what was known then as Grand National series racing. I was asked to fill in for a regular mechanic who had got his hands burned pretty bad. I was just a gopher, handing wrenches and the like in the shop. Never was in the pits or even invited to the track. But they knew I had military obligations and probably couldn't get time off anyway.

As far as the new Camaro goes, they are overweight slugs. I think Jay Leno mentioned they weigh over 2 tons! What kind of retro, beer-bellied pony car is that?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
I would never enter a car in a no reserve auction anymore than I would put an old English Double on the classifieds here and say the highest bidder by Friday gets it.

Barret/Jackson is nothing more than a bookie taking money on both ends. Buyer and seller both pay.

Well then, perhaps Hemmings Motor News is a better venue to sell your 'baby?'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new Camaro is heavier than the Stang, lighter than the Chrysler entry.None of them are slow. I was there in the 60's, and remember full well how unreliable the hemis were. The good stuff from Chrysler carried 383's. I also remember that the 3 or 4 fastest cars in our area were GM based, a certain 421 Pontiac, 2 Vettes, and a guy named Wayne Briggs ran a 56 Chevy (wild small block) and a 62 Vette. He was pretty unbeatable and still does some nostalgia type drags with his son with those same 2 cars.

Posts: 15867 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Most "10 second cars" back in the day would have ran a 13 second 1/4 mile.
Most "13 second cars" back in the day would have ran a 15 second 1/4 mile.

Tires did NOT hook back then, cars weren't usually kept in ultimate tunes, and the actual performance of an untouched original musclecar would never rival what these cars claim to run nowadays....

Original (REAL STOCK) musclecars were alot slower than many people pretend. They were cool, had tons of character, but EVERYBODY has a neighbour with a "stock 13 second Duster"....

I think big block musclecars that actually could RUN a 13 second 1/4 mile time, dead stock, were very few and far between."

There have been a lot of tests done since back in the day, where cars were matched up in factory stock form, same day, same driver, same track. I don't recall the Dodge/Plymouth units making any big splash in any of them. I do remember seeing at least one of those where the hemi got trounced by it's own brother, the 440.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:

Tires did NOT hook back then, cars weren't usually kept in ultimate tunes, and the actual performance of an untouched original musclecar would never rival what these cars claim to run nowadays....

Original (REAL STOCK) musclecars were alot slower than many people pretend. They were cool, had tons of character, but EVERYBODY has a neighbour with a "stock 13 second Duster"....

I think big block musclecars that actually could RUN a 13 second 1/4 mile time, dead stock, were very few and far between."

There have been a lot of tests done since back in the day, where cars were matched up in factory stock form, same day, same driver, same track. I don't recall the Dodge/Plymouth units making any big splash in any of them. I do remember seeing at least one of those where the hemi got trounced by it's own brother, the 440.

You're probably right. But you're still harshing my mellow.

I know as a fact that a 428 Cobra Jet is only going to put 225 Ponies to the ground as it comes from the factory.

But I still want one. And I'll bet you I can do better.

In any case, "They" have never seen a P1800. Now that's a Volvo that's worth a song.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The P1800 is on my A list. We finally agree on something!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The P1800 is on my A list. We finally agree on something!

We probably also agree on the big block Ford.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always had a thing for the big Oldsmobiles, specifically the 394. Those things were stuck in front of 2.73 gear ratios and were killer out on the highway. Gas mileage was horrid. My favorites were the 60 olds and the Volvo P1800 for a foreign car. I never did get one of those.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oldsmobile. Now there's a car I wouldn't kick out of bed for eating crackers.

What I wouldn't do for a '64 442 would get me executed in most places.

Actually, I'd commit a capitol crime for anything up to a '72. For anything after a '73, I'd have to look forward to the possibility of parole.

After '76, if you offer me a Cutlass and 5 bucks I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cars nowadays are a bunch faster than their old counterparts.

Semper Fidelis