New
Find
Notify
Tools

Porsche914
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am considering selling my 2.0 liter 914. I have had it for about six years and do not give it the driving time it deserves. It is in pristine condition and would serve as a grat driver's car. It is about 95% original. I bought it from a retired Porsche mechanic and he rebuilt the blown engine and changed out the Bosch fuel injection for 2 2 barrel downdraft Webers. What is the best way to market this car? Would Craig's list or EBay be better? I have never sold a car on-line and am a complete novice. Any advice will be appreciated. It ain't the it used to be, but it will do. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add that it is a 1973 baby blue with a black interior. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother had a '73 914-6. 911 guys all hated him...

Good Luck! with your sale.

I'd go Craig's List.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that rare cars like yours would get better exposure on a national site like ebay. Nice ride...brings back memories.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Ebay certainly does reach a lot of people for sure. Being you are so close to Austin, might consider a local ad. Dealing long distance can be a challenge. Ebay certainly has some serious buyers, yet you may still need to wade through dreamers. Been there, done that. So, have some of my friends. Local ads are the fastest way because the potential buyer can be at your door pretty quick. A friend just listed his really nice 2009 Mercedes CLK-550 for 6 weeks on Ebay and ended up with only one wannabe buyer. The guy couldn't raise the cash. He listed it in the main local paper and it sold in 3 days. I think you should get some great responses in your area. Of the last dozen personal cars and a couple boats that I had sold locally, all but a couple sold in a few days. Go get 'em. Good luck.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5113 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had many Porsches years ago...and had a chance to drive them on the Autobahn in Germany. I once drove Frankfurt to Basel Switzerland (200 miles) in 1 hr 42 minutes. My favorite was the 914-6 - bright orange with black interior. That car sat the road so well and the power was perfectly balanced for the car. 135 mph was about the top speed - but on the sweeping country roads, it was in its element. Never should have sold that one.

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JonP,

I feel the same way about my first Jaguar. 1967 XK-E coupe in primrose yellow.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sold my 1987 911 Carrera last week. I don't regret it so far....time will tell. At least it made my wife happy.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the 914 is a Porsche only in the USA. I believe they are VW elsewhere. Had a green 1974 914 with a 1.8 motor. This was in 1976. I much preferred my 65 356SC.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
back then, Porsche wanted to make an entry-level car. Marketing changed that several years later. NOW, the entry-level Porsche is a used one...

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the 914 was a Volkswagen with a Porsche badge. The 914-6 was a REAL drivers machine. At that time i did a lot of autocross racing with the PCNA chapter in Salt Lake City out on the Salt Flats and the defunct airbase out that way- and got beaten pretty often by 914-6's. I wouldn't want a regular 914 if you gave it to me, but I would dearly love a 914-6.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that my 914 has a Porsche suspension and brakes, but the engine and maybe the transaxle are VW. I know the engine is a 2 liter VW engine, but since Dr. Ferdinand Porsche designed the original VW, the engine is a Porsche cousin once removed. In Europe the 914 was marketed as a VW/Porsche, but promoted in the USA as a Porsche to help it sell. Please correct me if I am in error. It ain't the way it used to be, but it will do. Jerry Hoover

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Hoover:
It is my understanding that my 914 has a Porsche suspension and brakes, but the engine and maybe the transaxle are VW. I know the engine is a 2 liter VW engine, but since Dr. Ferdinand Porsche designed the original VW, the engine is a Porsche cousin once removed. In Europe the 914 was marketed as a VW/Porsche, but promoted in the USA as a Porsche to help it sell. Please correct me if I am in error. It ain't the way it used to be, but it will do. Jerry Hoover

Jerry, They had a 1.8, a few 2.0, and a few had the 911T motor.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And you really, really wish you had it back; especially on warm top-down days...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned a 914-6 that had been modified and powered by a 2.4 "E" engine. The ultimate in the 914 line was the the 916. Only a very few were built. I rode in one once in Germany. I thought the engine over powered the chassis.

http://www.thisweekinmotors.co...e-market-for-495000/

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a bringatrailer.com auction and don't look back. You will get great money for it, and their listing fee is small. Really really believe in what they are doing over there.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bring a trailer.com is for sure the best way to market that car. You should refer Nate and I and they will send $100 when not sells. We could split it!

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
I owned a 914-6 that had been modified and powered by a 2.4 "E" engine. The ultimate in the 914 line was the the 916. Only a very few were built. I rode in one once in Germany. I thought the engine over powered the chassis.

http://www.thisweekinmotors.co...e-market-for-495000/

Seems like ancient history now (late 80's)--
We ran a highly modified car (ParaDocs Racing)
with basically a 935 engine setup shoehorned in -
One heck of a platform

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
back then, Porsche wanted to make an entry-level car. Marketing changed that several years later. NOW, the entry-level Porsche is a used one...

Porsche still makes an entry level car, it's called the Boxster.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Try Craigs list first. List it in the nearest 2 big markets.
Savy buyers often use national craigslist search engines such as searchtempest to focus on private sales and avoid dealers.
I've sold 3 TLCs and my 442 on cl.
Good luck with your sale.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote