New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tail of the Dragon
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Son was visiting and he loves Corvettes. Taught him how to drive a stick with my C5. Today we drove over in the M7 C7 and drove the Tail of the Dragon. Before we went I thought it would be boring. Man was I ever mistaken. It was as close to driving on a race track as I ever seen. Total blast and lots of knee scraping bikers and nice exotic cars as well. Most fun I had in a car in a long time.
Try it if you can.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to ride my bike on the Dragon from time to time about 7 years ago, but it got so dangerous on the weekends that it was no bueno. I lost count of the accidents that I encountered. Too damn crazy on the weekends and I hear it's pretty bad on the weekdays now.

Now I ride the Blood Mountain Trail Road from Dahlonega GA to Blue Ridge GA which is like 50 miles of the Dragon. Will absolutely wear you out along with your brakes. But it is in the middle of nowhere so oncoming traffic is still manageable but it will still scare the crap out of you.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a twenty-plus mile stretch of M-18 that runs from Gladwin, MI up to Houghton Lake, our biggest lake and Michigan's foremost tourist trap. It was re-paved a few years ago and is very smooth and twisty thru the piney woods. It's an isolated area with very little traffic.

It's close by and, quite often, I get the old Porsche out of the garage and, by myself, enjoy that car on that road.

I'm 80 years old and my speed is tempered by the fact that I want to get to 81. Were I a lot younger I would spend some time at Skip Barber and, maybe then, try to set a record.

When I was really sick a year ago I spent a lot of time wondering if I would ever get to drive that road again... I'm fine now and do so as often as I can.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dick, which Porsche do you have?

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote