New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some help deciding!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As some of you may know, a (used) Jag XK8 has been on my bucket list for some time. I am getting close to pulling the trigger, but, I don't want a "toy" I want something I can use every day, on trips etc. So, are there other, perhaps more practical, performance cars that might be better suited? Any thoughts?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am partial to Corvettes myself and on my third one, a 2013 Grand sport in crystal red metallic. Only maintenance is an oil change now and then. Comfortable, tons of power, great handling and fuel economy ranging from 18-30 mpg. Cheap parts that are easy to find if you ever need a repair. Bought my first in 2001 and so far none of the three even had to go back in for warranty work. Truly remarkable cars for the money spent.
Buy a ZR1 and you will be in an elite club with one of the fastest cars on the planet.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine makes a 4,000 +/- mile road trip from here to Illinois and back every year without incident. For me, looks make the car, and there are waaaaaaaaaaay too many 'vettes on the road. Great cars, no doubt, but common on the roads.

Count how many of each you see on the roads the next 24 hours.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks snowwolfe and IHS. I want to spend maybe $10-15K. SW what year 'vette would you recommend? Being a non 'vette person, the models are confusing. IHS I have an XK8 '98 with 77K miles on it in mind. It has a cassette player and the timing belt tensioners have not been replaced. Good looking car but they are asking a premium price for it. Should I try someone who goes to auctions? Not in any rush but now might be the time!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10-15k would maybe get you into a high mileage C4. And to be blunt they were not that very fast. If you can increase your budget and get into a 2002 C5 or newer I think you would be happier. Some of the 2001's had problems with the rings but some were OK.

Cruise the Corvette forum and ask a lot of questions:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/index.php

Good luck in your search no matter what you decide to buy.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks snowwolfe.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not know if they are still in business, but many years ago there was a company on Dallas Texas that replaced the motors in Jags with Chevy motors.

The owner told me that the Jag engine just could not take the Texas heat.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE I have read reports of XK8's having cooling problems. The main one however seems to be the plastic tensioners they used for the timing belt.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Hell, if you want a fast car I'm selling my 2006 Pontiac GTO. Torrid Red, 69k miles, A4, 6.0L LS2. It's got some go-faster goodies (cam, heads, transmission upgrades, CAI, exhaust, etc.), been tuned and dump tested at 556hp, 512ft/lbs of torque, governor eliminated so it will go to it's drag limited 186mph. On long drives it can (and has achieved multiple times) around 26mpg, and I have babied the hell out of it. Asking $18k, negotiable on price within reason. Got too many V8 vehicles and looking for something more comfortable on my old ass!

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
*Dyno tested. I'm posting this from one of those smart phones and it's making the user (myself) not seem smart!

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote