New
Find
Notify
Tools

True American roadster
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All 63hp of single barrel, three on the floor fun.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, you get the prize. Until somebody shows their Allard. Replicas permitted.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Okay, you get the prize. Until somebody shows their Allard. Replicas permitted.

Rich

My money's on the Jeep when the pavement ends! Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
One of the areas I've been hunting for 30 years had/has 3 of those. A few years ago, they hired a manager to run the place and he fancied himself as a bit of a mechanic...... he stripped all 3 down to every nut and bolt and when he realised he couldn't put them back together again, he did a midnight flit, never to be seen again!

The owner still has all the panels, a huge box of bits and 3 chassis' sitting in his workshop.

A real bloody shame huh! Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing to see a old Willy's jeep next to a new one. The originals were small in comparison. I just saw on the other day, all restored with Army insignia and all. Pretty neat.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Original ATV!

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
And despite the Range Rover claims, Jeep were the first (by 6 or 7 years at least) to produce the first luxury 4x4 when they introduced the Wagoneer in 1963.

Jeep produced some fantastic vehicles but their sales and publicity skills were bloody useless back then. Roll Eyes

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
And despite the Range Rover claims, Jeep were the first (by 6 or 7 years at least) to produce the first luxury 4x4 when they introduced the Wagoneer in 1963.

Jeep produced some fantastic vehicles but their sales and publicity skills were bloody useless back then. Roll Eyes

Yup, the first SUV -- so to speak!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Lots of 1sts.

1st SUV

1st luxury SUV

1st auto 4x4

1st air con 4x4

1st cruise control 4x4

Oh and worst PR team in automotive history. Wink

I take your point though. Smiler

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'll add that the Wagoneer holds the record for the longest production run ever.

They made them for 28 years with nothing more than minor changes in all that time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, I checked, the Allard is english with a American V-8. Aka early Cobra,neat car. If you look at the second picture you can see a rear PTO shaft. Not many roadster can turn a pump or run a sawmill and then take your date to the movies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allard

one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Lots of 1sts.

1st SUV

1st luxury SUV

1st auto 4x4

1st air con 4x4

1st cruise control 4x4

Oh and worst PR team in automotive history. Wink

I take your point though. Smiler

1st SUV??

I do believe the Chevy Suburban takes that prize.............. 1933.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But the chevy suburban was not four wheel drive until much later.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I think you'll find that the first 4x4 was built in about 1911 by the Four Wheel Drive Auto Company in Clintonville Wisconsin.

People argue about the exact date but the first one was called the Badger and was supposed to have been built somewhere between about 1908-1911...... and FWIW most people plump for the later date which I think was when the builders went properly commercial.

Incidentally, the track of the early vehicles were the same as the railway gauge of the day so the wheels could be changed and put on a railway line.

How's that for useless information! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We always suspected you where full of it now we know for sure rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My grandfather still has a 1949 Willys with the flathead 4 cyl engine and the original 6 volt electrical system. I've been trying to talk him out of it for more than 30 years and he won't dream of letting it go.

Hell, he's only 99 years old this July. Maybe someday he'll decide he won't use it anymore.

As a side note,he did give me his 1970 Ford F-250 and overhead camper this year. Maybe there's hope after all.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up with a 48 Willy's, it was only listed as I recall at 38 HP. My brother still has it.

Posts: 15866 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I happen to know where there are a bunch of Wagoneers in MT, if anyone is interested.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
I happen to know where there are a bunch of Wagoneers in MT, if anyone is interested.

You know how to break a man's heart!

I've been waiting for bloody weeks for a package of spares from the US and they still haven't arrived Roll Eyes

That said, I have Wagoneer fans in that neck of the woods so if you'd like to PM me with the relevent contact details, I'll pass them on! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my Uncles had an Willys Overland(?) SUV-thingy. I remember going fishing with him and my Father and being amazed that he could take the key out of the ignition driving down the road to use his "church key" to open bottles of pop for all of us without the engine dying.

Rich

old