Find
Notify
Tools

DOH!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
Ever since I bought my Jeep about 8 years ago, it's given a series of nasty sounding donks on pull away and despite several strip downs of things like diffs and prop shafts, I've never been able to find anything wrong, let alone cure it.

I was under the truck the other day just giving it a check over and I noticed a shine where no shine should be...... Got busy with the CorrosionX and 5 minutes later, the donk was cured........ I'm embarassed to say it was no more than dry & incorrectly fitted bushes on the top and bottom mounts of the rear shock absorbers......... I've searched for that damn noise for eight fucking years and it turns out to be that simple! homer

Go on. Laugh you bastards! rotflmo

I'll fix it properly later this week. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ever since I bought my Jeep about 8 years ago, it's given a series of nasty sounding donks on pull away

I though all Jeeps made that noise!!! Now, a Land Rover would NEVER make that noise!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we all knew you where slow on the uptake BUT DAM EIGHT YEARS!!!!!!!!! how short was that bus you took to school???? Does your mommy let you play with the big boys now????????? jumping

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
All that work on axle & diff etc over the years & it never even fucking occurred to me to check such a simple thing!........... I'm actually embarassed I never thought to check such a simple thing before! bewildered

Oh, & I used to walk to school! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
someone just said as simple minded as you are that should have been the first place you looked! it seams they thought simples should attract to each other rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
They're dead right. It should have been the first thing I looked at but it wasn't...... Not only that but several mechanics, including the ONLY man I trust to work on my baby without my looking over his shoulder, didn't spot it either! Confused

The thing is, you only have a gap of a few thou to see the shine where it shouldn't shine. bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What the bloody heck are you doing with shock absorbers on a jeep??

shocker

dancing

Damn Poms-- rotflmo

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Old Man Emu shock at that my friend....... the truck rides like a Rolls Royce! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dry splines on the drive shaft slip joint can do the same thing.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
That's exactly the sort of thing I thought was to blame but despite frequent searches, couldn't find. Then to realise it was such a simple cause is almost embarassing!

I went down to the OME agents yesterday and apparently they don't even make a nylon bush that fits and their book says just to use the manufacturers part..... which is about as much use as tits on a bull to me as my local dealer doesn't carry those parts and I'm relocating in about 6 weeks time so can't order from the States until I get moved and settled.

Ah well, it's waited 8 years so I guess a few more weeks/months won't make any difference!