Find
Notify
Tools

BMW M3
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted
This is my I'm-Over-The-Hill-But-Won't-Admit-It car.

2003 BMW M3 with SMG transmission, 333 HP, redlines at 8000 RPM. Console and paddle shifters.

71,000 true miles. I'm the 3rd owner.

I've never wound it out but it wants to run.

I bought it when we moved to Florida not quite two years ago. If you live in Florida you gotta have a convertible, right?

I'm told by BMW experts that the SMG transmission shifts faster than most racecar drivers can shift manually. I don't know--I'm out of my league with this car, to be honest.

I do know tires are only good for about 10K miles.

I bet I haven't put 2000 miles on this vehicle. I don't drive it unless I can put the top down, and last summer it rained about every afternoon.

I probably should sell it and buy something more practical--

[URL= ]

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First Gen SMG shifts in about 120 ms. IIRC, the 2003 had main or rod bearing recall/update. Some of the production had proclivity for launching rods through the side of block. I'd check to see if it needed to be done and if it was done before hammering the throttle, especially when cold. Great engine, great car.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOPPELGANGSTER:
First Gen SMG shifts in about 120 ms. IIRC, the 2003 had main or rod bearing recall/update. Some of the production had proclivity for launching rods through the side of block. I'd check to see if it needed to be done and if it was done before hammering the throttle, especially when cold. Great engine, great car.

Doppelgangster: Thanks for the heads up. I checked with the local dealership; they ran the VIN and said the rod bearing repair had been done back in 2005 at 29K miles.

Just last December I had to take it in for a passenger side airbag recall. Was advised not to drive with a passenger in the car until the airbag had been replaced. Did not make my wife very happy.

LTC, USA, RET
Member, SCI & DSC

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was advised not to drive with a passenger in the car until the airbag had been replaced.

Yeah, that's what I say when someone wants to ride with me.

Big Grin

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pat, you should let me take care of it for you!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Pat, you should let me take care of it for you!
Peter

But could you handle it, Peter?

LTC, USA, RET
Member, SCI & DSC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know. I will tell you that I got up to about 90mph on my Honda ST1100 and then decided that I was either going to soil my pants or die (or both) if I didn't slow down. I slowed down! So, don't know if that qualifies me or not!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got up to about 90mph

Normal freeway speeds in SoCal. You might wanna stick to your burro.

Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Outstanding purchase, sir! Having driven a friend's on some previous "spirited" occasions, there's a reason it's the best sports coupe/sedan you can buy. I always felt the SMG was unfairly maligned by auto snobs. It works exceedingly well - especially so in mode "6" with everything off.

Enjoy it in good health and don't let any naysayers tell you otherwise!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote