Find
Notify
Tools

Trabant Quality Control
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
It is "final tuning" of Trabant, (in)famous East Germany car. I had one together with friend when I was a student. It was made in 1990 or so, the last model with independent gasoline heating and electronic ignition. Pretty reliable car. 60 MPH was reasonable top speed, but we reached about 85 downhill Big Grin. In the city, it was agile on lights. It burned gasoline and oil mixture, capable of 28-30 MPG generally. At 40 MPH still speed, it was capable of up to 40 MPG, but only in no or very low wind. It has 4 gear manual transmission with 4th gear overdrive, two stroke 2 cylinder engine, about 26 HP. More info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant_601

And please, watch the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIAYxWCXF8A&

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I learned something. I never knew they had a quality control department. Just goes to show ....

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Door fucking! As it was called apparently her in Britain by the men that did it.

Haven't seen images of that for years! It was a very skilled job to get the door smooth with the body AND the shut lines all parallel and the shut plate positioned on the pillar too.

The guy makes it look easy with his wood block and hammer. It was in fact very skilled work to get it done right that quickly. See the door adjustment videos on You Tube and they are making it a ten, fifteen, twenty minute job. The Trabant man is doing it in a quarter of that time. That's skill.

Thanks for posting.

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
We got picked up at the Budpest airport by a Trabant, 3 of us with huge wheelboards.

I was in front and sis and BIL were in the back, every time the driver hit the brakes my BIL got hit in the head with the luggage. The driver was a comedian. we actually had an interesting trip.

That's me

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
My only experience with a Trabant was seeing one parked on the street in Berlin back in 1999. It was almost to the beltline with dirt, and had plants growing inside.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:
My only experience with a Trabant was seeing one parked on the street in Berlin back in 1999. It was almost to the beltline with dirt, and had plants growing inside.

Saw one in Hamburg, 2006, masterfully restored. Wink somebody must have been nostalgic.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Restore a Trabant??? That was money not well spent...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote