Find
Notify
Tools

Good news on my road tax!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
Has just downloaded his exemption certificate that proves my 1982 Jeep Cherokee is a car of historical interest to the great nation of Portugal & therefore my annual road tax bill goes from E773 a year to zero! YEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAA!

My thanks to the kind people of ACP Classicos for their help, support & advice. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
On top of that your Jeep is a far better 4 wheeler than any new vehicle, nice ride!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Congrats Shakari! You and the waggy deserve it, plus it's all the more reason to drive it more.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Waterrat

Yes, the 4x4 system on that truck is (IMO) one of the best ever.

MS

I felt rather scammed on the road tax issue when I imported the truck from RSA as part of our migration process.

The PT Govt website says that all cars over 25 years old are free of road tax but what they don't tell you is they count those 25 years from the date the car is registered in PT rather than from the year of manufacture so this kinda corrects the situation. tu2

The only drawback is that I lose the tax exemption if I convert the car to LPG but as only really use the car on high days and holidays that's no big deal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what's a road tax?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I don't know if that's a genuine question or not?......... but I'll assume it is & risk making myself look like a dope. Wink

In the UK & Europe we have to pay an annual tax on every vehicle we own & that money is supposed to go towards maintaining the roads etc.

The amount of road tax one pays is dependent on engine size & emissions etc. However, according to the Portuguese Govt website all cars over 25 years old are exempt from road tax...... what they don't say on the site is that they count those 25 years from the time of registration here in Portugal rather than the year of manufacture........ and as my Jeep has the AMC 360 5.9 litre V8 engine, it fell under one of the highest classifications and they hit me for E773 last year........ which really pissed me off. It wasn't really the money that annoyed me so much but the principle of it all...... I rather felt as though I'd been conned.

Anyway, the good news is the ACP Classicos (PT version of the AA Classic Car Section) can inspect a classic, issue an annual exemption certificate that says the car is of historical interest to Portugal and it then becomes exempt from road tax......... which (IMO) is what it bloody well should have been in the first place.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've just about had it where iniquitous taxes of various kinds are concerned........ I've recently found out I'm losing 30% of my book sales to the fucking American Govt. Confused

I'm a Brit living in Portugal but the publishing company is in the US so I apparently get hit for 30%.

Whatever fucking happened to no taxation without representation! killpc

I'll find a way over it one way or another even if I have to change to a European publisher....... Either that or I'll ask that useless prick Obama to start paying me benefits or whatever the hell they're called over there? Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was serious. They just get us here on the license plates and fuel tax.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If you have to pay an annual fee to the Govt for the number plate, I guess that's a similar thing.

Seems that no matter where you are in the world, the Govt will always find a way to screw you. Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Jag has the most expensive plates, $40 a year for standard.

I pay an extra $25 a year for vanity plates for the truck. "ABNRANGR".

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Helluva lot cheaper than our road tax... Until I got the tax exemption, my Jeep was E773 which translates to over $1K. Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our license tag fees are road taxes....here in Texas anyway.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Our license tag fees are road taxes....here in Texas anyway.

Yours seem to be a helluva lot cheaper than here by the sounds of it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We also have a fuel tax per gallon thats "SUPPOSE" to go to roads.

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
We also have a fuel tax per gallon thats "SUPPOSE" to go to roads.

The same here and we pay something like US$2.20 per LITRE! Eeker

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
You must hear the horse twaddle we are fed here regarding road taxes, annual licences, fuel levies and road tolls. Easy money to squander on ball shyte. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
All govts like to introduce needless bureaucracy so they can justify themselves but RSA have made an art of it.

When I was exporting my Jeep, I had to queue up to get an application form for a police clearance certificate.

Then I had to queue up again to hand the completed application form and get the authorisation for the police clearance certificate.

Then I had to go to the police vehicle inspection centre to get the police clearance certificate.

Then back to the traffic dept to queue up to get the application form for the application form (that isn't a typo) for the police clearance clearance for export.

Then I had to queue up again to hand in the application form for the application form.

Then I had to go away and complete it.

Then I had to queue up again to hand it in and get the application form.

Then I had to go away again and complete it.

Then I had to queue up again to hand it in and get the authorisation for the police clearance for export certificate.

Then back to the police vehicle inspection centre to get the police clearance for export certificate.

Each time I had to queue up, it took something like 3 - 4 hours before I got to the counter.

What a fucking farce!

The other document I had to get was the ITAC export approval and I emailed them with the car details and had the emailed export approval back within 24 hours!

One wonders how one department can be so bloody slow and the other so efficient! bewildered

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Each time I had to queue up, it took something like 3 - 4 hours before I got to the counter.

It takes time to consume a sheep's head and trotters or a bucket of Kentucky. Big Grin Bloody inconsiderate of you to expect them to have to gulp down their grub. dancing

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Took the paperwork into the fiscal office today and got the actual exemption issued so it's now cut and dried for the year...... and have to re-register the car as being of historical interest to Portugal annually. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wheres the squeeze bulb horn on the hood?

sofa

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote