New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not bad for a 56 year old.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

It looks restored of course. Back then I drove a 56 Corvette with both a hard top and a convertible. I also had a 66 Porsche then and other Corvettes.

I would rather have my 1969 XL convertible with it's 429. That was the king of the road. Not those little cars.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage_99:

It looks restored of course. Back then I drove a 56 Corvette with both a hard top and a convertible. I also had a 66 Porsche then and other Corvettes.

I would rather have my 1969 XL convertible with it's 429. That was the king of the road. Not those little cars.

When I met my second(and present wife) she was driving a T-bird exactly like that one except it was red! Still married to her for 52 years but the T-bird is long gone!

.................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage_99:

Sounds like you have a cool collection. Do you have pictures you can share with us?

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VERY NICE Thunderbird.

What engine does that car have in it???

The reason I ask, is my first car was a 1957 Ford Fairlane, and it had the 312 Thunderbird engine in it with a 4 barrel Holley carb.

It was NOT a V8, it was a Y8...

The cylinders in the Ford 312 Thunderbird motor were "splayed" out farther than the standard "V8", to make the motor have a shorter height, so it would fit in the less tall engine compartment of the Thunderbird.

My 57 Ford would pass ANYTHING but a gas station... shocker

To change the spark plugs you had to jack it up, and take the front tires off to get to the plugs.

Those 2 seater T-Birds were way ahead of their time...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
VERY NICE Thunderbird.

What engine does that car have in it???

The reason I ask, is my first car was a 1957 Ford Fairlane, and it had the 312 Thunderbird engine in it with a 4 barrel Holley carb.

It was NOT a V8, it was a Y8...

The cylinders in the Ford 312 Thunderbird motor were "splayed" out farther than the standard "V8", to make the motor have a shorter height, so it would fit in the less tall engine compartment of the Thunderbird.

My 57 Ford would pass ANYTHING but a gas station... shocker

To change the spark plugs you had to jack it up, and take the front tires off to get to the plugs.

Those 2 seater T-Birds were way ahead of their time...

http://i1328.photobucket.com/a...0061_zps3c876f48.jpg

Here's what the engine looks like and it fits your description to a "T" - 312 Cu. Inches, 4 barrel Holley. I had to put in a 6 blade fan to help cool the engine in the Philippines' hot, humid weather.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cam home from my first tour of RVN in summer of 1970. My Father had my new car all picked out. A Lipstick Red XL500 convertible with the 320HP 429.

N-O-T old enough for that ride, bought a '68 Road Runner coupe instead.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking at the blocky, plain looking apartment in the back, thought, must be in Cuba. Smiler

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is the Engine.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jess, you're WAY past 56. Oh, you mean the car :-)

Posts: 20087 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote