Find
Notify
Tools

Rats
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted
Love em or hate em they will always be around. They come is all manner of styles... Are there any AR members that have built, drive, or own a rat rod of any type? I would love to see some pictures of your rats.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'll go first. Here is my creation. It's still a work in progress.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
specifics on the engine please....

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
The motor started life as a MK-VI 454 ci big block Chevy. Bored .040, decked, line honed, with all ARP studs. Forged lightweight internally balanced eagle crank, H beam rods, Mahle flat top blower pistons, 8.5:1 compression. It's now just short of 500 ci. Aluminum heads, full roller cam, roller rockers, electric water pump, and a 6-71 blower. Not pictured are the 2 Pro Systems 780cfm carbs and the Methanol injection. It's set up to run at 12lbs of boost. It's connected to a monster transmissions Th-400 with a 3000 rpm stall converter. The rear end is a Dana 70 with 4:10 gears in a fully adjustable parallel bar 4 link rear suspension. I'm thinking it might have just enough horsepower to turn those 35" tall duals into smoke.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
You'd best fix that bed, so you can dump a load of concrete in it to have a chance of hooking it up!
P.S. You are truly sick! I like the Dually axle.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Awesome

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
You'd best fix that bed, so you can dump a load of concrete in it to have a chance of hooking it up!
P.S. You are truly sick! I like the Dually axle.

Why thank you!

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waterboy,

You're a sick sick man.

Please keep us posted on this build.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Dirk
How is the rat rod coming along?

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
I like the Dually axle.

+1

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
Dirk
How is the rat rod coming along?

It's still coming along slowly. I do not have a lot of time to work on it. Making a few changes to make it better/safer to drive. I had drum brakes on it for the mock up but needed to switch to disc. I fabricated a disk brake set up for the Dana 70 rear and the front now has discs as well. Willwood dual master cyl and petal set up. Thought it might be handy to be able to stop... I pulled the motor and trans, made new motor mounts to drop the motor a little over 2" and move it forward 3". I did this to get more room in the cab. I am extending the cab by using a cowl off of another truck. I am sectioning it and attaching it to the existing cowl. Should look crazy with double cowl vents..
Blower belts and pulleys are on. It will be 18% overdriven to give me about 9lbs of boost. Sooo many things to do and so little time. It's not like it is on tv that's for damn sure!!

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Id love to see that beast run thru the gears.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote