Find
Notify
Tools

1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
Beautiful car! Who wouldn't wish for one of those?

It's got to the point about classic Mopars like Roadrunners and Chargers that if you have to ask how much they are, then you can't afford them. Especially with the 440 Magnum and Six Pack, let alone the 426 Hemi.

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by someoldguy:
Beautiful car! Who wouldn't wish for one of those?

Me.

Ugly design.

Ugly color.

I doubt the chickens would even roost on it.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is one funny way to parse the fact that you can't afford one...

Rich
moon

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine had one just like that, his wife took it when they divorced.
She didn't know the numbers didn't match, wouldn't pass emissions.
He raised holy hell about it but agreed to let her have it if she would give up her half of their ski condo!

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Nice car. There are rumours that Chrysler may return the Plymouth Cuda, similar to the Challenger.

If I remember correctly, there is a company that is producing body panels and trim that hang on a factory challenger to make it resemble a cuda. Don't think they (Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler) is going to actually produce one. There is the same thing with a company selling installs of their kits to turn 05-10 mustangs into 69 GT500s. Cool but wayyyy to pricey. The 10 GTs get my blood pumping enough.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Norm's is building replicas of their old 67-69 Hemi Darts down in Florida. $100,000 and up.

Scary...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
that is one funny way to parse the fact that you can't afford one...

Rich
moon

If I thought they were ugly in '70 and didn't buy one for $3K, why would I desire the same turd now for $100K?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Turd? That's a bit harsh. Not very turdlike when it cleans your clock at a light!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Six Packs and Hemis ruled the streets and strips waaaaay back then, and still do.

It's why nobody builds 427 Camaros or 454 Chevelles to challenge the SS/A and SS/AA Hemi Darts and Barracudas.

It's why NASCAR had to change the rules back in 1972. Eliminate the Hemi and Boss 429 and let chevy compete with a small block. GM never had much success in head to head competition against the Hemis. Ever.

Rich

I was there...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Six Packs and Hemis ruled the streets and strips waaaaay back then, and still do.

It's why nobody builds 427 Camaros or 454 Chevelles to challenge the SS/A and SS/AA Hemi Darts and Barracudas.

It's why NASCAR had to change the rules back in 1972. Eliminate the Hemi and Boss 429 and let chevy compete with a small block. GM never had much success in head to head competition against the Hemis. Ever.

Rich

I was there...

Dude, don't forget the Ford 427 SOHC. If I recall correctly Chrysler got its panties all bunched up when that thang was about to hit the high banks.

Anyway, and I know I'm going to catch a ration of s$#@, but hemis just weren't that quick. Not out of the box.

I have nothing against Mopar. I'm still kicking myself for selling my '68 Charger with the 440 Police Pursuit Special engine. I thought I had bought a car with the Magnum engine. When I scraped the grease off I found I had the one with the forged bottom end.

Then I joined the Navy and had to sell it.

But I still think the 440 was quicker on the street. And I grew up at at time when you'd come across a street hemi now and again.

I'm pretty much of a slut when it comes to American V8s. They're all good. Some are better than others. But you can make any one of them run hard.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, the SOHC motor -- problem is that they naver made it into a production vehicle. Worth a fortune today.....

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
my take on it is that at least on the street and if were talking off the showroom cars the two that i would bet my house on were the ls6 chevelles and the 455 gs buicks. That been said theres probably no motor that has more potential for someone that knew what they were doing then a hemi but from my streat racing experience ive seen the buicks and chevs hand the hemis there lunch on the street.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
China Fleet Sailor,

ever see the cam chain on one of the SOHC motors. Seven feet long or somewhere's around that.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
China Fleet Sailor,

ever see the cam chain on one of the SOHC motors. Seven feet long or somewhere's around that.

Rich

No, I never actually saw one in the flesh.

Ford never actually put one in a factory delivered car. You had to buy an engine over the counter and roll your own. You can put the heads on a standard FE side oiler block, but it takes some work on the oiling system.

The rarest piece of Ford exotica I actually saw with my own eyes was a Street Boss 429. In a Pantera.

I've never been the same after that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys seem stuck on Chryslers. You ever open up a Poncho 389 with Tri-power intake?

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I have played with pretty much all of them. They all have some good and unique about them IMHO.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by China Fleet Sailor:
You guys seem stuck on Chryslers. You ever open up a Poncho 389 with Tri-power intake?

Not the 3 deuces version but a '67 ragtop with a single 4 barrel, 4 speed...pale yellow color, white canvas, and those quad vertical headlights. My buddy cross-decked in WestPac and he entrusted me to care for his almost new car...that was in '70.

It wasn't stoplight fast...too heavy. It cornered like Rich's Jag...door handles scraping the pavement. It was a softly-sprung whaleboat that would effortlessly reach 90mph and make you feel like you were in a Barcalounger while doing it. It was a nice car if you needed to haul half the 6th fleet on a road trip.

Which I did on a few occasions. Head up north to the Playboy Club in Atlanta, (I didn't have a key but my buddy did) ogle the bunnies until the wee morning hours, then head over to the downtown Varsity for eats. Then off to Honest Charley's Speedshop in Chattanooga for a trunk full of speed parts. Hi-test gas for 32 cents a gallon. Those were the days.

We also made that same route in another buddies '66 7 litre Ford Galaxy dark metallic green ragtop. Funnily enough, both those guys came from northern New Jersey. And the Ponton owner also was the NHRA D stock recordholder with his '60 Pontiac. And the Galaxy owner remembers seeing his 8' trophy sitting on the hood one Friday night at the local Stewarts Rootbeer stand. So It wasn't a line of BS. Fun times.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a one night stand with a Catalina. I don't think lookiing at the numbers she was as fast as I remember. But if you imagine the physycal effect those two outboard carbs had on me when they opened up, you'd probably be close to correct.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a shot of my 70 GTX 440+6, 4 speed

Posts: 234 | Location: New England | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the Ford cammer never ran a lap in a NASCAR race.