Find
Notify
Tools

Got a Bentley?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
My curiosity is starting to get the best of me. Anyone own an older (say, early 2000's) Bentley coupe? They probably do weigh a couple tons and used to look clumsy to me. However, performance-wise even the V-8 cars (saw more W-12's actually) are quite able to propel these beasts at respectable speeds and their 0-60 times can be quite impressive.
Also: Are they difficult to work on for an average backyard mechanic? The closest repair option is about 2 hours from here, a big minus in my book.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The W-12 GT Speed is faster than almost all of the Ferraris available. 205mph. The Electronic controls are impossible without the factory codes.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they are very expensive to repair, and parts are also mucho expensive....

Most friends that have had older ones have hated them eventually.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I figured as much. Thanks. Here's a race of a V-8 Continental vs an Aston Martin just for the helluvit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZhj5vFC6hE

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have driven a W12 GT that belonged to a fellow I used to work for. Had the metal pedals and the engine turned metal dash.

They go like stink. Lovely car. I couldn't believe the acceleration for such a large vehicle.

My brother worked for Bentley. He said they will go past anything except a gas station!

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Then you might like this one. Know what car this is? Hint: spy. These cars make me drule.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have a diamond grille and corn rows?

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that parts would be extremely expensive. Having said that, there was an Aston Martin Vantage 2008 I believe for sale at a car dealership (not Aston Martin). I saw the ad in the paper, hot footed down there the next day and it had already been sold! Saved again! Seems that the car had belonged to a Jacksonville Jaguar and had been bought by a surgeon! Who says God does not save us from ourselves?
Don't know about "what goes around comes a round" but I saw a car today with spinners or whatever they call those big chrome rims that keep spinning when the wheels are stationary. And, yes it was being piloted by one of our minority brethren.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm over my Bentley kick now.
Peter, I like that era of Aston Martins too.
Since we lack qualified services for them around here, I'll probably end up with a Porsche 911 next.
No wonder lots of people move to Florida for retirement. There are high end dealers everywhere down there.
In the meantime, the Dutch built Spyker. Hope this link isn't breaking any rules.
http://www.spykercars.com/models

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since we lack qualified services for them around here

Custombolt, no qualified service for Aston's in Jacksonville either, but, even if there were, I probably could not afford them. That is why I might wind up with a Jag XK8. There are other service options available for these (other than the dealer).
Still looking and afraid to pull the trigger!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nissan GT-R is certainly a nice car. Don't see too many of them around. Not sure what they go for used. Have to check.
Peter

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Peter: I like the XK8's as well. We have a Jaguar dealer only 8 miles from here. But, the local word is stay away.
Norseman: Thanks. Those are impressive numbers for cars made to drive on the street and surprisingly that Benz wagon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had my XK-8 convertible nearly nine years now.

The top down experience cannot be replicated, even by my HD.

I am very lucky, my dealer has a great reputation for customer service. Mine's a 2000, but they always say "Hi Rich, how are things, and what can we do for you...?" when I come in, and treat my car and I like we are the most important thing going on that day. At this time, an occasional sensor will flash, and every time I take the car over 135mph the check engine light comes on. I drive around the back to my mechanic's bay and he resets them for me. NO charge.

Last year he did hammer me though. I am in for an oil change, and he tells me Jaguar has issued a service bulletin that discusses the A/T Rule.

It is as follows: once you turn sixty, if your age, in years, is greater than the ambient temperature outside in degrees Fahrenheit you should leave the top up.

I thought that was pretty cold...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
You are very lucky Rich. We are fortunate to have some really good Mercedes-Benz dealers around here for our daily drivers. The only times they tried to sell us something unnecessary was for tires at inspection time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Hi Rich, how are things, and what can we do for you...?"

Translation: "Here's that broke ass welfare hillbilly again with his beater POS".

hilbily

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote