Tools

1972 Riviera
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Thanks to my dad, I owned a ‘69 Toronado. Had a 455 cubic inch V8 as I recall.

Still miss that car.

I had a Toronado--don't remember the year model, but I bought off a guy during my first tour in Alaska, 1974-77. Red, beautiful car--and fast!

Hell of a car; one of the ones I sure wish I'd kept. That and a '67 Buick convertible and a '68 Wildcat. Not feasible to keep every car you own, but there are a few that would be worth a lot today.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was raised poor, so I bought cheap cars. Mostly well worn out, got what I could out of them & then moved on. Some of my cars were under a hundred. I once test drove a fairly decent, good running 58 Cadillac for 275 dollars. I didn't buy it because I didn't want to go into debt to get it. I took home 64 dollars a week. My 1st car was a 48 Plymouth Special Deluxe that cost 45 dollars in cash and a hog I raised worth 40 dollars. Times were very different.

Posts: 15865 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed. I used to buy them from the wrecking yard in the early 70s. You could get some good deals then. I bought a 59 Impala for $50.00 + drove it for a couple of years. Also bought a 56 Chevy 2 door Belaire from a one owner in 1972 for $75.00. When I tell my son about that, he just cringes. I tell him that you have to remember that in 72 it wasn't a classic then, it was just an old car.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote