New
Find
Notify
Tools

the new Jaguar F-type...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I want to go somewhere, I drive my '13 Lexus ES 350. When I want to drive ... Porsche Boxster. It's old ('99), has only 208 hp, less than 30k miles, but has to be the most fun on four wheels.

And, before you ask, I've owned seven Ferraris, one Maserati, numerous Corvettes, and have been riding fast motorcycles since I was fifteen. Currently on a BMW R1200RT. I'm 68 years old.

Posts: 383 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice choices. I'm hopelessly mired in the old school burled elm dash and real leather, not plastic and alcantara thing.

Jag convertible and FJ Cruiser if the weather does not favor the HD.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jumping in late...and at the risk of ever-so-slightly derailing this thread...
I'd like to ask this auto-learned fraternity for thoughts and (especially) experiences with Maserati's Quatro-Porte.
Thanks.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for thier four wheel drive pickup variant.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are hopelessly mired in 1/8" thick veneer.
Even the wood in a Bentley is veneer.

You can build a buggy out of wood.

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Nice choices. I'm hopelessly mired in the old school burled elm dash and real leather, not plastic and alcantara thing.

Jag convertible and FJ Cruiser if the weather does not favor the HD.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have the Science Channel you can watch the How Its Made series about super cars.

From the manufacturing standpoint Maserati has the best factory and tooling that I have seen in an auto factory. It appears that under the skin the Maserati is a far better built car than many of its competitors.

Have spent my career in manufacturing plants.
Much of Maserati's tooling reminds me of the excellent tooling used to assemble the F-16 at the Ft Worth plant.

Stepping down from next was

Bentley is a close 2nd and its engine assy is superb

Audi - Pretty good

Ferrari
Porsche

quote:
Originally posted by Don Edwards:
Jumping in late...and at the risk of ever-so-slightly derailing this thread...
I'd like to ask this auto-learned fraternity for thoughts and (especially) experiences with Maserati's Quatro-Porte.
Thanks.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No car can be better than its dealer network and parts service. Maserati has very few dealers in the US.

I gave up on Ducati Motorcycles years ago due to the futility of trying to keep one in tune, and get parts. It's a great thing, owning a Harley for that reason. And, the showroom clothes girls are stupendous...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
No car can be better than its dealer network and parts service. Maserati has very few dealers in the US.

I gave up on Ducati Motorcycles years ago due to the futility of trying to keep one in tune, and get parts. It's a great thing, owning a Harley for that reason. And, the showroom clothes girls are stupendous...

You make THE most significant point regarding Maserati's that has me concerned. I can buy one here....but have yet to identify someone CLOSE who can keep her running. I have a good friend who is a wizard with them...but he's on the W. coast of Florida, and I'm not. Oh well.
Funny you should bring up "the girls".
Before I bought my first Harley...back in the 1970's...I already had an all original 427/435 Stingray, AND "the baddest Kawasaki in Columbus,Ohio".
At some point however....I noticed that the REAL "Fun Girls"...(at least in my estimation...)were climbing on the backs of H-D's. I Dumped the 'vette and Kaw...bought myself a Lowrider....and, 300,000 mi. or so later on the "Moonraker", (my version of a Milwaukee flyer), have NEVER regretted it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think HD makes the only bikes that are fun to ride at legal speeds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well put.
I've never thought of it that way, but you make an excellent point.
Adding them all up, I figure I've run something over 400,000 mi. on a variety of motorcycles over the years. 265,000 of that on my current bike..The Moonraker...1985 H-D FXRS.
The only one that ever scared me was a Kawasaki Z1-900. Given the way that particular bike was tuned and set-up, it seemed like she got to 100 mph waaaayyyyy too easily, and wanted to STAY there( or go higher...!!) pretty much everytime I got on her.
By the grace of God..I've(somehow) managed to reach an age where The Moonraker is plenty. Cruising 70-80 on the Interstate is all I require. My personal performance standard anymore is that she get me over Monteagle Mountain (I-24 in Tennessee) with my "ole lady du jour" on the back @ 70 mph without bogging down.
Paraphrasing an OLD Honda sales slogan:
You might not meet the NICEST people on a Harley..but you most definitely meet the most FUN people.
Whatever your choice though...ride safe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

you need to look at the Screaming Eagle Performance Parts Catalog. They do offer the 120R for Evo motors.

Mine (2010 Fat Boy Lo) with the big injectors and 62mm Throttle body made 130.7 HP and 130.06ft/lbs of Torque. Both at the back tire on the HD shop's chassis dyno. Smoother than the 96" it came with, and performance is from stocker easy to jap-bike killer. Just a twist of the wrist. Torque is amazing...

Rich