THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BASEBALL FORUM

I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yogi Berra Movie
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The movie "It Ain't Over" just opened. https://www.usatoday.com/story...nt-over/70204310007/ Sounds like a good watch if it was on TV or Netflix.

I doubt there is any correlation, but vintage baseball cards of Yogi Berra have been increasing in value in recent years.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"It Ain't Over" is now on Netflix. The documentary makes a good case for Yogi being vastly underrated and disrespected in many ways. (I notice that in the last year his baseball cards have increased significantly in value.)

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Just saw this post, Ken. Thank you. I'll look for it. I was crazy about baseball, baseball cards and the Yankees in the very early 1960s. Getting a Yogi Berra card ranked with finding a Mantle or Maris in that five-pack from Topps.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back then I knew every starting lineup on every team. I was a Willie Mays fan. I was shocked when the Dodgers left Brooklyn and Giants left the Polo Grounds. They used to let us listen to the World Series games on a radio during school hours. A great time to be a kid. Never had to worry about someone shooting the place up with an AR.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I saw it the other night. It was well done.

During and after his career, Yogi was taken for granted all too much and did not get the credit or recognition as a ballplayer that he deserved so well.

Even the film condescended to him to some extent. But he was so genuine and down-to-earth that it was hard not to do so.

Still, he was an amazing baseball player and man and for anyone paying attention he did make his mark on the game.

Ten (10) World Series championship rings and three (3) American League Most Valuable Player awards. Hall of Famer.

Plus, he was a Navy veteran of the WWII D-Day landing on Utah Beach in Normandy.

They don't make them like Yogi anymore and it was great to see him get his due in this movie.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Saw Willie hit homers No. 597 and 598 against the Cubs at Candlestick, August 1969. Seems to me I was one of the boys with a transistor radio turned down low for the Series in fifth and sixth grade, but such was not permitted in junior high.
I'll look for this film.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The Say Hey Kid! I saw him play, too. At Wrigley Field. One of the greats!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote