New
Find
Notify
Tools

H & R .45 Huntsman
 Login/Join

<ae35gunner>
posted
While in Yuma a couple of weeks ago I was in Sprague's and saw 2 H & R blackpowder rifles for sale on consignment. I decided to get the .45 as it was in very good condition and the price was right ($99), so I picked it up this past weekend. The other rifle was a little rougher around the edges, was .58 cal, and was priced at $79 (any takers better call and reserve this one before I persuade myself to make another trip to Yuma). Anyway, I cannot find any available info on these rifles (not even mentioned in blackpowder gun value books I've seen), and would appreciate anyone sharing their info, loads, experiences using this fine, strong, proven action (same single shot break open as Toppers, USN line-throwing guns, etc) . I believe that H & R made them back in the 1970's (maybe before), and they were the first in-line ignition smokestacks that I'd ever seen at that time. I also currently own a T/C New Englander (VA required side-lock ignition when I first moved there in 1988) and a T/C Scout (both .50 cal) and have built my son a little CVA .50 cal carbine (side-lock) from a kit some years ago. I am a rifleman at heart and own a number of excellent guns including a Volquartsen converted 10/22 Classic complete with 32 hole compensator (at 75 yds with scope set at 24X using standard velocity ammo I can actually see the bullet before it goes into the target-so the compensator really works...no movement) and a Cooper Model 21 in .221 Fireball, but still enjoy my frontloaders for a change of pace. Happy Thanksgiving to all and Keep Your Powder Dry!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember them from the 70's and almost bought one back then. The only thing that I can recall is that the salesclerk steered me away from it. If I remember right it would sometimes fire on closing as the cap could get caught between the breech face and the nipple. I think they have re-introduce it with some sort of different nipple breech arrangement. I instead bought a H&R Springfield Stalker in 45 which was a muzzleloading version of their 45-70.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote