New
Find
Notify
Tools

HODGDON 777 CONCERNS...
 Login/Join

<David Quick>
posted
I know Bob and Chris Hodgdon personally... would you guys have any objections if I were to fill Chris in on the previous thread where some are experiencing MORE fouling and see if they (Hodgdon) would like to address the issue... I'd be more than glad to, but out of courtesy, I would rather have the endorsement of those of you who have not liked it first... New products, well heck, ANY products, give varying degrees of performance under different circumstances, and companies do need feedback to help with product improvements... Let me know. Dave

<eldeguello>
posted
David, I for one would appreciate it if you would communicate our experiences with 777 to the makers. There seems to me to be a sufficient number of those who've tried it who have had the same fouling problems I have experienced that it is not just my imagination!! However, another group of folks DON'T seem to have noticed this. If my problems had occurred in only one rifle, then I'd be tempted to say it was the barrel. But, I have had fouling problems in a number of different guns, something is going on!!

"In all the guns I have tried it in, two .45's, two .50's, and two .54's, 777 has consistently left enough MORE fouling in the barrels that cleaning has been required to continue shooting, as opposed to Pyrodex. (Maybe it is cleaner than Pyrodex, but leaves more of the fouling in the bore???) In addition, it is enough more powerful that the guns performed very differently! Over-powder wads were requires, even with patched balls!! Points of impact moved UP several inches or more, and this with power charges that had already been reduced significantly!! THE ONLY REAL ADVANTAGE I discovered with 777 was ease of cleaning after a day's shooting. It truly does wash out easily with just plain water (just like Clean Shot and ClearShot also do!!)"

one of us
posted Hide Post
David I think that is a great idea also,I have had the same experiences as
Eldeguello.I have like I said shot 21/2 cans of it this summer,without much success
I tried it in an encore 45cal,50cal,black diamond 50 cal,remington 700,and a ruger 77/50
and it was very difficult or couldn't get the sabot down the barrel if I didn't clean between shots.And when I took the rifle apart to clean in the bottem of the barrel where the powder discharges,it looked like the powder had cristlized on the barrel like the pyrodex does,but it cleaned with water easyly.I still have some left and going to try it again this summer.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<David Quick>
posted
I just got an e-mail from Chris Hodgdon about another subject, and will write him right now and point him to the thread where the problem is being discussed... Dave

<Double D>
posted
David, I on the other hand am not seeing the fouling problem. Then I am not trying to ram a lead slug down the bore either, I am loading it 577/450 cartridges.

DD

<eldeguello>
posted
Yes, the problems I encountered were when trying to push a bullet down the bore. 777 might be great in a cartridge arm. [Big Grin]

<gundog>
posted
David,

I too have experienced fouling in my muzzleloader with 777. My experience has been, shoot half dozen shots, then it takes significant effort to push the sabot down the barrel. Last Saturday, after about 15 shots, I had to clean it. Yes it did clean up with water, but I have never had to stop and clean with Cleanshot. What a pain.

My main reasons for wanting to switch to 777 is shelf life and perhaps higher velocities.

Mark.

<BMG>
posted
While I've not shot as much as some of you, I haven't experienced 'over fouling' in my bores. I have shot both cleaNshot and H777 in my .72 Cal Kodiak Double rifle and my 130yr old 1872 .577 Snider MkIII cartridge gun. Personally, I think it's great stuff and can't wait till the pellets come out so I can buy/shoot a small bore .50 cal inline. I'll practice at the range and probably clean (run wet then dry patch) between shots when I'm working up hunting loads because my first shot at a deer/bear will always be with a clean bore anyway. This will make 'practice' shots closer to 'hunting' shots. But when plinking at a metal gong I won't clean until I get home, or if the fouling won't allow a sabot down the barrel. But like I said, I'm new to this BP & muzzlestuffing thing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have problems with 777 FFg in my 15" .50cal Encore. I'm using 60 grains with 240g XTP's in sabots. Have to clean between shots or won't be able to get the next round down on the powder without a hammer (ain't gonna do that!). Have experienced the same problem with conicals.

Posts: 207 | Location: Sacramento, CA, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
savageshooter: DITTO!!

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
In an older, "broke in" barrel I have very little problem.

Was shooting through a brand new barrel today, and "oh my", now
I see what you guys mean about this "crud ring" where the powder
is ignited. It was bad -- spit patching between every shot became
an absolute necessity.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been very happy with H777 FFG in my .43 Mauser. I haven't had the same accuracy with it in my .45-90 2.4". I have tried it in a cap & ball revolver, an Italian 1851 Navy clone, and did not get the accuracy that I do with GOEX FFFG, but do not have the cylinder binding problems I get with GOEX. Black powder is getting impossible to find where I am, so I'm trying to work with the substitutes that are available. Cartridge shooters may never see the fouling problem. Just my 2 cents worth.

Byron

Posts: 22 | Location: Oregon City, OR USA | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote