New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman muzzle loaders
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been through 10 pages here and the word lyman is never mentioned. Why?
Does anyone have one? any opinions on them? I'm asking because I bought a great plains in 54 cal. I've shot it some but not on paper yet.
The quality compared to cva is like comparing a colt to a jennings

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I and my bro have one. Set up some targets at 75, 100, and 125 yards. By trying out various balls and powder you can find a load that is good for deer and elk hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a lyman 54cal percussion rifle.
It shot very well with big charges of FFg and tightly patched roundball.
It was a ripper.

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I think you will find the Lyman GPR is an excellent value for traditional rifle.

Last I checked Mid South Shooters Supply had the best prices on one.

NO I an not associated with them

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4238 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a GPH percussion in .50 Cal. with the 1 in 32" twist for conical bullets, and it has nice wood. Took a hog with it some years back. It's a very good gun for the money, IMO.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
I've had a .54-cal Great Plains Rifle for about 15 yrs, I really like it. Shoots very well, and is a lot of fun. I once tried casting balls for it, but I have had better luck with Speer and Hornady .535 balls. It once put 3 shots with the store-boughts into an inch and a half at 100 yds, from a rest of course. I have never shot a game animal with it but one of these days that is going to change! I don't know what they've done with the quality over the years, but assuming it hasn't gone down like nearly everything else, I would recommend the rifle. Regards, MMM.

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the .54 Lyman Trade rifle. Shooting it over 30 years now. 90 gr dose a good job on any hunt.
The trigger is sweet after shooting that many years. One wedge easy takedown and trasporting in a bed roll. Just cork the muzzle to keep to out lint and don't lose the wedge on the trip.
So I drop it in my wallet Replaced the rod years ago with a old wonder rod from the 70's

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote