New
Find
Notify
Tools

72 Kodiak Express accuracy?
 Login/Join

<Mike M.>
posted
I'm new to the forum and am very interested in getting one of these guns. With the right load, can this thing shoot consistent groups? What is it's effective range?

[ 12-08-2002, 01:16: Message edited by: Mike M. ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
hey there mike basicaly your looking at a 2 1/2" groups at 50 yards you might be able to squeeze off the half inch but iv only seen it done maybe 2 times

i bought 1 of these for my uncle from texas

he uses 150grns of fg black powder 15 thou patch and a ball 10thou under bore dia with a home made felt wad dipped in bore butter he took a deer this year at 70 yards right behind the shoulder the doe droped to the shot.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike: I have had a Kodiak in .58 and one in .72, which was the more accurate. At 50 yards, I was able to get a ragged hole group of four shots, two rights, two lefts, with just the rearmost sight. I would have to check, but I think the load was 130 grains Goex FFg, .715 RB and .015 Ox-Yoke lubed patch. Conicals were accurate from each barrel, but needed more work and both rear sights for groups from each barrel to be all snuggled together. I suspect accuracy may vary from one rifle to the next. I sure miss that .72.

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<BMG>
posted
I just purchased one from another board member and couldn't be happier. It is more accurate than what I expected and a 535gr RB has to do some serious damage with all that mass & large metplat.
I used a .019" pillow ticking patch with Crisco as lube and a 100gr (volume) charge of H777 FFg.
My father & I shot both the left & right barrels with their respective sights and our groups were identical (and tight).

<eldeguello>
posted
I have one in .54, and it does not seem to shoot as well as these folks" .72's.