Notify
Tools

Powder horn
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone ever make your own powder horn?
I see some YouTube vids on doing it.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Made many of them. What is your question?

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where do I get nice horns that make good powder horns?

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Have got them from lots of places in the past.
October country.com.
Track of the Wolf.
Dixie.
https://www.crazycrow.com/muzz...orn-making-supplies/
Ebay.
Good horns are harder to get now because cows no longer have horns in this country. You want the white ones with a double curve to them.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
You are in TX, correct?
Stop in any beef processing plant and see what they have.
The places I went as a kid had 50gal drums of horns.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good luck. Sure, when I was a kid we dehorned cattle, and had lots of horns. Remember that modern beef cattle (all Angus here) have no horns; they were bred out of them.
But for a good looking powder horn, you need a white one, with a black or brown tip and a double curve. Very hard to find, domestically. All are imported.
Depends on what you want your finished horn to look like. Do not get the all black ones; they are brittle and look terrible.
Anyway, for less than the gas it will cost to drive around to meat packing plants, you can just buy one.

Picture of uplander
posted Hide Post

Posts: 53 | Location: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well..about all the locker plants around here still get horned cattle in. I haven't seen a barrel full of horns in 30 years but, you can still get them easy enough. Not every rancher raises Angus or Angus cross. There's still plenty of horned Herefords around and locally, there's 3 guys have Longhorn herds of over 200 cows.

I have a couple horns I made from light colored horns from local cattle. They aren't big nor have the double twist but, for the 36 and 32 cal. rifles I built them for they're quite handy.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is who I was trying to think of; I have got horns from them; white, double curve. Can't go wrong for $21.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I built mine for use in my cap+ ball revolver.I made mine from a dbl. curved goat horn + as the feeder I installed a small brass ball valve with a piece of flared copper tubing cut to the length for the correct charge. Put the copper in the cylinder, work the ball valve once; a perfect charge every time.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tandy leather in Fort Worth had a box full of horns. They were all sanded to death, could not use.
Ordered a horn from Powder horns and more. With my hip replacement keeping around the house give me something to do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Easy to get at packing plants..I boil the an flatten them out a bit, I like small powder horns, about 6 loads for hunting. Have a horntip that also serves as a cup for my powder charge. They never charged until all the libs grabbed them for art. in the SW on the Mexican border they dont dehorn or use slick headed cattle as horns are there to protect the calves from predators and bust up sotol plants high in protein for food. No country for old men or Muley cattle..BUT A WORLD OF HORNS.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I made a smallerone from an Africa antelope, all mountings were in silver. Bit of carving etc. Someone stole it. It held about 20 shots. Neat little horn.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is a shame.
I just drove across this state last Wednesday; saw about 4000 cows; 98% black, the rest were Hereford; ZERO had horns.
Lots of tiny ones too; must be the season. None of them had horns either.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I went the processing plant route ONE TIME. I put the horn in the bed of my truck, drove home, put it out in the sun to dry, then tried to wash the stink out of my truck bed. Hoooo doggies!
Thereafter I bought them from John Shorb who owned October Country, then sold it and ran Powder Horns and More out of his retirement in Moro Bay. A fine young veteran owns it now.
Be sure to buy a copy of the Sibleys' book, "Recreating the 18th-Century Powder Horn."

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JSM
posted Hide Post
Order from Crazy Crow Trading Post

Posts: 56 | Location: Houston,TX | Registered: 06 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was in a Tandy Leather store a couple of days ago. They had a box full for !9.95.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dpcd
In soft country where cattle are fed hay all winter and not a lot of predators. Muley (dehorned or bred hornless) are preferred so they do not injure each others eye or eyes in the feeding process..In hard country they use horn cattle to protect their calves and to knock down cacti and other feed sources and larger plots are allowed to feed hay and pellets with more space space between cattle. cow 101 GREEN HORN CLASS! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote