New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conicals vs. Sabots
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I currently Own A T/C Omega in .50 caliber. So far I have only used sabots in the gun and have gotten 1" groups at 100 yds. Is there any performance differance in conicals compared to sabots? The Conicals weigh more and use the whole width of the barrel, so which do you prefer? Conicals or Sabots?

Posts: 188 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I have never had a conical give a 1" group @ 100 yards, but I have had several 1" groups from a slow-twist .50 using patched round balls on a windless day.... [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Remingtonman:

What load are you using in your Omega to get the 1" groups. I have an Omega and have only gotten 2" groups so far using a 295 gr Powerbelt bullet and 110 Grains of Pyrodex R/S. I will continue to do load development for my Omega after hunting season! x-caliber

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Fire Hawk>
posted
Remington Man,

I have a TC Firehawk in .54 caliber that shoots lights out with certain heavy conical slug. Supposedly my rate of twist is too slow (1:38) to stabilize the long conicals. This particular bullet is made by "No Excuses in Utah" and I shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards with a peep sight and front bead.

The sabots on the other hand, have been okay in the light options (~250 grainers) but have shot poorly in the 300 grain range.

For what it is worth, this 535 grain slug made by No Excuses is terrific for accuracy. I know that anything within 150 yards had better take cover as it will definitely be on target. Awesome performance on the nice Muley this fall too.

He ran for about 20 yards and left a swoth of blood that was easy to see. Obviously, full penetration and good expansion.

So in my rifle, I like to shoot the heavy conicals for accuracy (they do hurt to shoot much at the bench).

I hope this has helped a little. FH