ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    Help on price for Colt made .36 1851 Navy

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help on price for Colt made .36 1851 Navy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Father in Law recently passed away and he had this among some other black powder pistols.

It is a Colt made and marked .36 1851 Navy. It is new and unfired 100% condition. From what I can find it is the "C" series, Royal Blue finish with silver plated brass backstrap. Has the scrolled cylinder engraving marked: "WL Ormsby, New York engaged 16 May 1843" Comes in a walnut presentation case, with a brass 2 cavity mold ( made in Italy) and a combo screw driver/wedge pin tool. There is a place in the case for a powder flask but none is present. Also the key for the box. Not sure if the presentation case is correct for the revolver as I cannot find where they were shipped with these. No Colt markings on the case. Serial number is in the low range of production 645 after listed first one putting it in 1971. I would appreciate any additional information and a possible asking price. Father in law was a WW2 vet and his widow isn't well off.
Regards and thanks,
Bruce in Hanover.

Posts: 514 | Location: now in Lower Slower Delaware | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Xero
posted Hide Post
Blue Book of Gun Values --

Because the case is Italian, I'd first wonder if the gun is not a Colt replica from Italy. I have a Colt Wells Fargo, fully detailed w/ all the Colt markings, but it's an Italian replica.

Your father-in-law's wife needs to contact the Vets Admin. She's eligible for some specific benefits, burial, possibly life-insurance, perhaps a pension. Contact the VA, online or they have an 800 access number.

==================================================================
A. Hamilton "The Federalist, No. 29, 'Concerning the Militia'"

[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.

Posts: 130 | Location: Tombouctou, Mali  | Registered: 11 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Henry Arms owner took a contract with Colt to produce the new Colt cap guns. The story was that they were made in the US, specifically the facility he had in Brooklyn.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Imperatos made these from Italian parts, but they were all marked with full Colt markings on license from Colt's. OP says his revolver is Colt made and marked. One on GB for $555 with 10 bids and one for $725 with no bids. So it's worth somewhere in that range, maybe more or maybe less. Put it on AR classifieds and see where it goes; won't cost you anything.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote