New
Find
Notify
Tools

BPCR Forum?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone see the need for a separate forum for Black Powder Cartridge Rifle? It is partially covered in Single Shot and Muzzleloading, but not really. I know lots of folks that find the big Sharps and Rolling Block rifles an addiction....I think it warrants a separate forum section.

Posts: 20090 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like BPCR rifles but I only shoot them with smokeless at BP velocities.
It seems that the hard core BP only guys cannot tolerate smokeless shooters. They tend to try to push the smokeless guys back to single shot forums.

I don't know the reason why but some of the other BPCR forums seem to be dying.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems that the hard core BP only guys cannot tolerate smokeless shooters

SR, you'll find that in any area of hunting/shooting, such as DRs vs "Bolt Trash", but most are quite open to whatever you want to do. With the interest in long-range shooting, many of the shooters are using duplex (BP and Smokeless) now for better trajectory, so that bias may be waning.

Posts: 20090 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SR,

I used to close posts with the thought, "knowledge not shared is knowledge lost..."

BPCRS seems not to attract younger shooters due to the cost, and that exclusionary attitude. The rule book mandates a weight of 12lbs +/- and most are built to that limit.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ISS
I agree with your comments and observations.

There is a great deal of romance for the buffalo hunting years for some. I understand that some guys want to ride a mule 60 miles in buckskins to shoot in the matches but not me. I am not that interested in authenticity having had a little of it on my grandparent's ranch.

The sport needs a way to attract younger shooters. Maybe that is a lead bullet class shooting 30-30 and 38-55 lever guns.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two very nice SS 45-70 rifles but both have been cut down to make them lighter for hunting . Frowner
In any sport bringing in new blood is the only thing that will keep the sport alive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
I have two very nice SS 45-70 rifles but both have been cut down to make them lighter for hunting . Frowner

That is a one way trip.
There is regional sentiment for that in the US. Many of the eastern and southern states have hunters that cannot handle a rifle barrel longer than 20 inches even when it is screwed in to an action 4 inches long.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
YES!
I love to shoot black powder cartridge rifles (today I shot the 8-bore harpoon gun) but have never given muzzle loaders much thought. I would love a separate section on bpc rifles.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, you've got it! Look up above in the forum list.