New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sluging a bore
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How would you slug the bore(measure) on a muzzle loader barrel?

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course if you can remove the breech plug you just drive it through as with any breech loader. I've slugged a couple of RB ML's by drilling a hole in the ball to accept an 8/32 machine screw. The screw goes through the ball which is "sandwiched" between two smaller-than-bore washers. Then the end of a 5/16" aluminum rod was threaded to accept the ball, screw, washer assembly. The other end of the rod (OD) was threaded to accept a "knob" and a short length of steel tubing was placed on the rod to act as a "slide hammer" to bring the ball out of the bore. It's easier to make than it sounds and has worked for me...though there may be simpler ways. Drilling a hole through a pure lead round ball is not easy with a regular bit. I finally ended up using a course burr on a Dremel tool because a standard drill bit "grabs" the lead and destroys the whole thing. Of course grease everything up real good and go slow. Good luck.

Jon