ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    1x power scope for black powder rifle

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1x power scope for black powder rifle
 Login/Join

<Oscar>
posted
I am looking for a 1x scope for a black powder rifle. Does anyone know who makes one. I am aware of Tasco and Swift and am looking for others. Thanks. Oscar

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar:
I am looking for a 1x scope for a black powder rifle. Does anyone know who makes one. I am aware of Tasco and Swift and am looking for others. Thanks. Oscar

I don't know where to find one, but I have to ask WHY?

What will a 1x scope do for you that a good tang sight and globe won't do as well?

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
<gundog>
posted
Oscar,

I too am looking for a 1x scope for my muzzleloader. Simmons, Nikon, and Burris also make 1x scopes.

Brent,

In some states (Nebraska for example) if you want to use a scope during the muzzleloader season it cannot have any magnification greater than 1x. It cannot be a variable scope either. Don't know why, but I think the Game and Parks people think a scope with greater powers of magnification will encourage longer shots and lead to wounded game.

Mark.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gundog:
Oscar,

I too am looking for a 1x scope for my muzzleloader. Simmons, Nikon, and Burris also make 1x scopes.

Brent,

In some states (Nebraska for example) if you want to use a scope during the muzzleloader season it cannot have any magnification greater than 1x. It cannot be a variable scope either. Don't know why, but I think the Game and Parks people think a scope with greater powers of magnification will encourage longer shots and lead to wounded game.

Mark.

I think NE Game and Parks got at least the last part right, but again, I ask why would one want to use a scope of 1x? If you can't use magnification, why use a scope at all? Restrictions of 1x or less for muzzleloaders would sound synonymous with NO SCOPES on muzzleloaders. I don't have a problem with the rule or its justification, just can't figure out why anyone would want to use a scope under those restrictions. I'm missing something.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Hutt>
posted
Your target is on one focal plane, faster target aquisition.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hutt:
Your target is on one focal plane, faster target aquisition.

I think I know what a focal plane is. So far as I can tell, targets are always in one focal plane. That is unless, I am shooting two eyes open and my eyes have remarkably different focusing abilities (even then, I'm not so sure). But in any event, speed shooting has never been part of my hunting so I guess I don't need a 1x scope. Just got my curiousity piqued though.

Brent

<gundog>
posted
Brent,

This year I experienced an unusuall phenonmenon while shooting my muzzleloader at 100 yard targets. When focusing on the target through the traditional open sights, I saw two bullseye's. Yes two. Apparently my vision is changing and is not a sharp as it once was. Looking through the "V", then focusing on the bead, and then the target was not a clear proposition. A peep sight works fine, but the only one I have found that fits my traditions Buck hunter is made by Ashley. At more than $90.00 (not counting shipping). I can buy a 1x scope and have the added benefit of better low light visibility - and save between $15 and $25.00.

Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brent,

This year I experienced an unusuall phenonmenon while shooting my muzzleloader at 100 yard targets. When focusing on the target through the traditional open sights, I saw two bullseye's. Yes two. Apparently my vision is changing and is not a sharp as it once was. Looking through the "V", then focusing on the bead, and then the target was not a clear proposition. A peep sight works fine, but the only one I have found that fits my traditions Buck hunter is made by Ashley. At more than $90.00 (not counting shipping). I can buy a 1x scope and have the added benefit of better low light visibility - and save between $15 and $25.00.

Mark

Hmm, I see. But you could buy a junker Lyman R14 at a gun show or off the net for $40 and be ready to rock. I know, I did. It also won't be so likely to loose it's zero, break, fog, etc. And it won't tempt me to take shots in low light when I shouldn't be shooting anyway. Round here, shooting is 30 minutes darkside of the sun. So, low light really isn't an issue

Brent

<gundog>
posted
Is the Lyman R14 a peep sight? Forgive my ignorance if the question seems odd, but based on your description it sounds like a peep sight.

<Hutt>
posted
Brent, let me better explain focal plane. First your eye focuses on the rear sight, then the front sight, then the target, thats three focal planes, next your eye focuses though your peep sight on to the front sight to the target, two focal planes, are you with me here, there's more your eye focuses though the scope to the target, one focal plane. Someone with older eyes usually pass on the first choice the second is a better option and the third is as good as it gets. I'm not saying it is the only choice but physics will dictate how accurrate some us will be as we age.

[ 12-12-2002, 06:48: Message edited by: Hutt ]

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
In Utah, a 1X scope on a Muzzleloader is the only thing thats legal. Although there is not much difference, I still prefer a scope over open sights, expecially at my age.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the Lyman R14 a peep sight? Forgive my ignorance if the question seems odd, but based on your description it sounds like a peep sight.

Gundog, yes a Lyman R14 is a simple peep sight that was originally made to go on the Model 14 Remington pump. It's nothing fancy and commonly available on auctionarms.com or similar places. There are better tang sights, but this one works pretty well for me. It has the advantage that it can be set very low, which is an issue given the high wrists of most muzzleloaders.

My current rifle has a Lyman 17a globe site up front with modified by Lee Shaver for a bubble level, a patridge barrel sight in a dovetail in the normal rear sight position (sighted for either 75 or 100 yds), the Lyman R14 at the tang (sighted for 150yds), and finally, it will have a Holbrook-type vernier tang sight on the rear for target shooting only from 100-1000 yds. This sight is under construction but when it's done will probably never be used in the woods. It's intended for dedicated target shooting only.

Brent

<Fire Hawk>
posted
Pentax also has a 1x scope (made by Burris with Pentax lenses).

Brent, I have also had the same problem as some of the others have mentioned regarding the focal planes. I couldn't focus on the rear sight, front sight and target all at the same time. I did end up getting a peep sight for my rifle and it made a world of difference. I shoot as well with a peep as I ever could with a 1x scope.

That said, the scope would probably be easier to sight in and change between loads (ie 240 gr sabot vs. 500 gr conical etc.).

Oscar for what it is worth, the peep will give you all the advantages you can use and solve the sight plane issues.

You can get some of the Knight (Williams) peep sights for about $45-$50. The TC peep will cost about the same. I imagine that a good gunsmith could figure out a way to drill and tap to make one of these fit.

I just put a peep on a new Cabelas Hawken and my gunsmith charged only $15 to drill and tap and install the sight for me. I bought the TC peep sight built for the hawken.

My other ML rifle is a TC Fire Hawk and I was able to just remove some screws that were already tapped by the manufacturer for the scope bases. The peep sight fit perfectly in the existing holes but of course the peep was built specifically for that rifle.

Call or email Traditions and see if they know of a peep sight that is built for that particular rifle.

Ashley sights are nice but very expensive too.

Maybe this will give you some different options to consider. Good Luck! Fire Hawk