Find
Notify
Tools

Need Info
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
This is NOT for sale. I would like some information from anyone knowlegable on vintage rifles. I have one that appears to be of Pennsylvania or Ohio mfg. Octogon bbl,.45 cal. percussion,DST,beautiful fiddleback.This has been passed down in my family with the older member handing it off to the younger on picture since cameras were invented.It may have been converted from flint although I don't think so.It is rifled. One my ancsestors fought with Ethan Allen's Green Mountain boys but I doubt this was that old,espesialy as its weight was more conducive to sniper work than carrying.I can get one of my kids to post some pics if that would help.As I said,as a familiy heirloom it is not for sale but I would love to know more about its heritage.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I will need pics, any markings on and under the barrel, and lock. And the caliber. And if it is percussion, and is not an altered flintlock, then it wasn't used by Ethan Allen's forces; it would be way to late for them. And too small caliber.

Posts: 17126 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd,

The Green Mountain Boys were "militia" and as such probably carried their personal hunting rifles in cal .32 or .36. Cal .40 was considered huge for the time. The larger .45,.50 and .54 only really came into use west of the Mississippi with the Hawken rifles. By that time the .32,.36 and .40 cals had exterminated the elk,bison and grizzles East of the Mississippi.

Yes, there were still .60 Jagers but by the 1760's that was no longer the predominate style of rifle in use.

To the poster; Contact the American Contemporary Longrifle Association or find copies of the Joe Kindig books.

Dave

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Actually, the smaller bores, .40 and under, did not come into vogue until the Golden Age, about 1785 to 1815 or so. If you look at the rifles from about 1770 to 1785, many if not most ranged from .44 to .62 caliber. Good references for flint-era rifles are Schumway's books. Please post a photo so we can help you.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote