New
Find
Notify
Tools

4fg flintlock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does it make a difference which brand (Swiss vs GOEX vs Elephant) of 4f you use in your flintlock?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddunn:
Does it make a difference which brand (Swiss vs GOEX vs Elephant) of 4f you use in your flintlock?

I am using GOEX 4f because I have it. I use Swiss for just about everything else, and were I to be buyin new flash powder, I would not think even twice and buy the Swiss immediately.
Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have some interesting info on the 4f powder. In 1987 Larry Pletcher published some data in Volume 4 of the Historical Armsmaking Technology Book. He found that the difference between 2f powder and 4f powder came out to average .004 difference and that the difference between different locks and from shot to shot was greater than the differences between the granulations of powder. I've used 4f and 3f and can't tell any difference although there may be those that can. There is some interesting stuff on pages 55 and 56 in this month's Muzzle Blast that seems to show that our ancestors really did not commonly use a seperate "priming horn".

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote