New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Flints for Flintlock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last time I bought flints I got over 100 for 70 cents each. Nice black English flints. Now that I no longer reenact I hope they last me close to my lifetime.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Couldn't you make your own,fairly accurately, with a rock saw,as in Lapidary? derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I tried the home-made flints today. I had already gotten the flint to make sparks fly 6 times before going to the range. It made the smoke pole do its thing. However it also shattered 1/4th of the flint in the process. And, this was the "best" of the bunch that I made. Conclusions: (1) they will work in a pinch, (2) maybe a better knapper could make them last longer, (3) they look kind of different (flashy even), (4) when and if I come across a good knapper or if anyone wants to try making one let me know as I can part with a "few" pieces in return to a couple of flints. Mike

Posts: 915 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I make the biggest part of my flints. Here in south jersey, I get a great vereity of flints. Red, gray, black, off blue, ivory, & Cahancy. I am a sand miner by trade & I have alot availible to me. Alot being dredged up from 30' to 100'. Its real fresh & alot easier to knap. When I feel the need to buy some,I get the majority of my flints out of Dixie Gunworks. Some of the best that I have used are the orange French aggates. They are a bit more money, but are well worth the price. Anoughter great place in from The Track Of The Wolf. Plus, if you was to punch up Muzzle Loading, in the sporting section on e-bay, there is a feller that is always selling them.

Posts: 36 | Location: Swamps, of South Jersey | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote