ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    whats the largest grain bullet you use in your .50 cal?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

whats the largest grain bullet you use in your .50 cal?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was looking at how nice 405 grain bullets fit in my .50 cal sabots. Or even the 450/500 grain .458 slugs. Would two pellets be too much for the weight of the 405grain projectile?

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is like saying "what is the greatest powder charge I can use in my '30-06...

Which ML are you shooting, what is the maximum charge rated for it, etc...

As for my Whites, I have shot my own cast 600 grain projectile in front of 100 grains of T7 2F. But don't just go out and try that...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a CVA wolf, not the best by a long shot. It just seems that the 250 and 275 grain with factory sabots do not fit too tight. In fact I've had them fall out when the rifle is tipped forward. I have a bunch of 45/70 405gr slugs and they seem to fit a little tighter. No slug/sabot combo has ever been more than a firm ram. Not like some I've seen wrestling them down with the butt plate on the ground. Yes it's a .50 and not a .52. Plus I thought the 45/70 slugs would be better for bear and deer. Thanks

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the owners manual says for that rifle, but I would start with about 60 grains of powder (and I would use black) and see how it shoots. Somewhere around 80 should be good, and I wouldn't go over 100 grains period.

I am talking about loose powder. I don't like pellets...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Doubless for the replies. Manual is not very helpful to my cause, "no saboted bullets over 300 grains". So thats that. I guess thats why it was $99.00. It hasn't been shot in a while, cause we use buckshot for deer here. I bought it for the bear hunt here in Jersey years ago after they banned archery for bears. What should I get if I want to shoot 405 to 500 grainers? Thanks again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doubless, They seem to be hot for Powerbelt slugs, didn't they make heavy, dangerous game slugs at one time. Pressure wise, why would a sabot create un-safe pressures over a Powerbelt? Additionally, didn't Powerbelt pull the slugs over 400 grains off the market? Do you know the reason? Thanks again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doubless, They seem to be hot for Powerbelt slugs, didn't they make heavy, dangerous game slugs at one time. Pressure wise, why would a sabot create un-safe pressures over a Powerbelt? Additionally, didn't Powerbelt pull the slugs over 400 grains off the market? Do you know the reason? Thanks again.

As far as the Powerbelts go, I suspect that was a request made by the company: that Wolf recommend them. I don't shoot them, and there is a lot of "ink" on the 'net about PBs blowing up on animals. Do some research.

The 400s disappearing? Probably due to not selling. Pure and simple.

If a saboted bullet is harder to seat than a PB, then the resulting shot should be higher because of a difference in pressure behind it.

I suggest you get hold of an owner's manual and do some reading, then do some research, as I have already said. I am beginning to think you bought this second hand and have absolutely no information about it.

This will be my last post regarding this. It has turned into something that fits the PM profile, not a public thread.

Best of luck.