New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHAT IS THE BEST POWDER?
 Login/Join

<TROPHYHUNTERS>
posted
What is the best loose powder for muzzleloaders? I have heard blackpowder is the best but it is very dirty, currently I am using clean shot powder. Thanks for the replies.

<bigbelly>
posted
I love clean shot but everyone else I know shoots black,they say that they have had mis-fires and hang-fires with the others.My rifle is an Encore with the 209 primer ignition,so I don`t worry.I have had a few hang-fires using pyrodex in my old side-lock`s though,even with hot-shot nipple and "hot" caps.use what works best for you,don`t worry about it unless you have problems.

<ChuckD>
posted
I am a traditional muzzleloader shooter, so as you might have guessed, I prefer good old black powder--Goex. Powder companies seem to have scared folks about "dirty powder'--once you learn how to use it and with good lubes, I can see NO problem with the stuff.Of course I use the traditional cleaning agent, which makes it really easy to clean--a tub full of hot water. Nothin' to it, I have done this 15 years with no problems at all....Chuck

<eldeguello>
posted
I also like Clean Shot, but of all the black powder brands around, I believe all who have tried it agree that the Swiss Sporting Rifle powders are best...They are very powerful, and much cleaner than other brands of BP. It is sold by the same folks who sell Elephant brand BP. [Big Grin]

<TROPHYHUNTERS>
posted
For those of you that shoot blackpowder, have you ever chronographed your loads, and if so was it better or worse than other powders? Another question is how many shots can you take with blackpowder before it is about impossible to put a slug down the barrel? I have often wondered what the old timers did when they fought with these weapons because of how hard it gets to seat a bullet after a few shots. Does anyone know the answer to this, Thanks for the replies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Pyrodex quite a bit over the years, and can shoot 20 shots or so without any problems. But I often use black or 5g of black under the Pyrodex to make shure it goes off in cold weather. When the temp drops to -20 a lot of the substitutes will not ignite properly in a side lock. I plan on trying 777 this winter to see what it's like.

Posts: 125 | Location: SW Manitoba Canada | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I have done a lot of chronographing of muzzleloaders. I found that when using equal volumes of Pyrodex RS, that velocities were within 20 FPS or so of speeds produced with the same bullets and DuPont (now GOEX) FFg. This is with both round balls and Maxiballs in both .45 and .50 caliber rifles. I use a Wonder Wad under Maxiballs. I have also chronographed GOEX ClearShot, and found that using equal volumes of this substitute vs Pyrodex RS, I got substantially lower velocities with the ClearShot (by as much as 300+ FPS less) when shooting Power Belt bullets and round balls in a .50 caliber rifle. I have NOT chronographed Clean Shot, but it (FFg) appears to be of about the same power level as GOEX FFg or Pyrodex RS, when comparing apparent recoil and bullet trajectories out to 100 yards. I have tested 777, but have not chronographed it. It appears to be a lot more powerful than any other powder (except perhaps Swiss BP, which I have not been able to find!!).

When shooting real BP, I find I have to wipe my bores after each shot, in order to reload without deforming the bullet!! With Pyrodex, I can shoot all afternoon, and clean when I get home. Clean Shot and ClearShot are ALMOST, BUT NOT QUITE, as good!! But, cleaning the gun at the end of the day is easiest when Clean Shot, ClearShot, or 777 were used (all three of these are about the same). Cleanup after using BP is the hardest, but cleaning after using Pyrodex is almost as bad as BP!! There is some disadvantage to every one of these propellants, including all of the substitute powders I have been able to buy!!

[ 12-06-2002, 20:25: Message edited by: eldeguello ]