New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black powder pellets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone here ever made black powder pellets? I have an original Sharps Carbine and have not been real satisfied with the performance of paper cartridges that spill their contents when loading. I'm thinking of something like a hollow core pellet, held together with a combustible binding agent. Much like a mini rocket motor. Any relevant thoughts and experiences welcome.

Bob

Posts: 3682 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No; there is a better way; don't try to make the early paper cartridges that your breech block cuts off; the later ones had a porous rear end that the cap flash can penetrate and ignite the main charge.
I use gauze; the powder won't spill out and it will ignite.
I known nothing about making pellets and actually hate them. Just a crutch for people who want to shoot muzzle loaders, but don't really want to learn how to measure powder.
Here is how to make them; this guy uses hair curling paper for the base, but I use gauze for the base. Standard typing paper cylinder. And you know that this late type of cartridge uses a different bullet than the early cut off type where the tube is actually tied to the bullet on a stepped down collar. This type (linen originally) uses a standard looking bullet. No step or collar. http://www.hahnmachineworks.co.../PaperCartridge.html

Posts: 17122 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good ideas. I'm going to try the gauze and paper with a flash hole. Also, the cardboard wad over the charge and the flat base bullet. That should give more consistent pressures and more complete powder burn.

Posts: 3682 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote