Find
Notify
Tools

Nicely regulated double
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Just a few shots, but this Pedersoli Kodiak .54 double shows some real promise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCTBsVz-MQs

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a good start.

A couple things I noticed that deserve attention.

First on his discussion of regulation - we are not looking for the place where the barrels cross.
We are looking for *the load* where the barrels print *in parallel* until the balls drop on the ground.

Also, his bench setup - when at the bench do not rest the barrels or forend on the bags. Instead, hold the barrels as you would in a hunting position, and support the underside of that hand with the bags.

After all, the target looked like a good start.
The load showed a crossing pattern. With that caliber I'd fix the hold, and I'd try five fewer *or* more grains of powder and continue adjusting the load until it was no longer crossing.
As I'm in the US and I have many powder choices, I'd also try whatever other powders I have in stock.
It might give better performance with Swiss 1-1/2f, it might be better with Goex FF, it might like goex olde eynsford.
I'd want to find out.

Let's see if the production line rifles shoot as nicely as this one.

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The Pedersoli Kodiak has been made since 1976 so this is not a new rifle; just one with shorter barrels. I have owned 3 of them; the early ones had two sights and were not regulated.
As for the one in the video; that is fantastic regulation; new cartridge double rifles don't shoot that well.
Since you aren't going to be shooting past 100 yards with them, and usually less, the one in the video is very good.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote