ACCURATERELOADING.COM BLACK POWDER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Black Powder    Re: Paper-Patch .45 Pistol bullets for the 45/70?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Paper-Patch .45 Pistol bullets for the 45/70?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted
Just like Russ, I have shot many .451/.452+ patched pistol bullets out of my 45-70. Almost anything works well with either black or smokeless. A well cast bullet, sized or not, lubed or not, correctly patched up to .460 is fine. I always greased the patches for black powder though. .45-70 Express. Good shooting. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Thanks Russ and G.ned ludd,

I have plyed a lot with paper patched .54 cal minnie bullets with my flintlock rifle. I have had some pretty amazing accuray results too. This NEF Handi-rifle is my first 45/70. I don't even have my dies and molds here yet - dan mail anyhow! While I wait I am searching my coffee-cans of bullets looking for something to prepare. This is where I remembered my Lee 300grn FP slugs.

I have noticed a negative problem though. The slugs are such of a FP with no ogive I end up seating them in a dummy case shorter than the max cart. OAL to keep them off of the lands.. This takes away from my BP charge. Thru experimentation I am against a deep seated bullet with a max compressed charge of 65 grns of Goex BP. I am going to test them anyway to see what I get out of them for accuracy. I likely, for the paper-patch routine, will play more with a round nose type bullet - the SWC 45 colt bullet type or the RN 45 ACP 230grn slugs I have buckets of. I have a mess paper patched up now - some with single wrap, some with double wrap, triple wrap with thinner paper, etc.
I am patching right now some 0.432" 44 cal Saeco 250grn slugs - using various papers and layers of paper wraps.

Hopefully (just for the sake of trying) I will find a combo that is somewhat accurate. Never hurts to play and have fun!!!!

Since I am not treading on new water...other's have been there done that....it helps to know I am not nuts for trying!

I'll post some results whe I get my dies!!
Thanks a million
Eric

Posts: 62 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Eric....Been there, done that, and it is not as freaky as it may sound. I shoot this bullet with BP using duplex loads, and this dog will hunt.
Rag Paper of 25% or better, as thick as you can find, I like .003 for a nice double tight wrap bringing it up to .4595, or even .460, and it should work just fine.
No different at all than sizing "down" a 300 / 350gr to .452, then pumping it back up.
Russ

Posts: 65 | Location: Washington State, Columbia Basin | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote