New
Find
Notify
Tools

the trouble with frontstuffers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It occured to me tonight that by the time I got old enough to afford a good BP rifle, my eyes were too old to see the sights well enough to realize it's full potential.
And I certainly can't put a scope on a traditional muzzleloader!

Posts: 56 | Location: fallon, nv. | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The answer to your problem would be a receiver or tang peep sight. I have problems with standard iron sights also and I love the tang peep on my smokeless levergun. I just ordered the Lyman receiver peep for my GPR, am looking forward to putting it on.

Good luck,
Ian

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I've put peeps on my caplocks. Just couldn't get the sight picture with the stock sights. It isn't exactly traditional but better than putting a scope on a sidelock.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man you guys are in the same boat I am, I dont feel right putting a scope on my ole WW2 bolt actions, or my GPR, let me know how the peeps work out for you on the GPR, do you use the same front sight ? or replace that too ?

Posts: 108 | Location: Ga | Registered: 17 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A tang sight wouldn't look to bad on a Hawkin,IMO. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulletman:
Man you guys are in the same boat I am, I dont feel right putting a scope on my ole WW2 bolt actions, or my GPR, let me know how the peeps work out for you on the GPR, do you use the same front sight ? or replace that too ?

http://www.nookhill.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000548

[ 11-04-2003, 13:57: Message edited by: HiWall ]

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most often we of the old and weak eyed set. The easy fix is to turn the rear sight around backwards so it is a little farther away, you know kind of like when you were fighting getting bifocals and finally your arms were not long enough to read the paper anymore. I helps, as I'm an avid black powder shooter and shoot at rendevous and compete at my local club. This is simple and does help. A few I do know have cut a new dovetail a little farther down the bbl ( most say to start at 6 inches). Just a test but if you take a small washer and a wad of gum and advance it down the bbl til you can see it clearly and focus your front sight as well would be a good place to put your sight, up the bbl.

Posts: 56 | Location: Howard City, Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
nvbird, 12FLVSS's suggestion is a good one! I have never been able to see worth a hoot, kinda like T.R.!! I find I can shoot a rifle O.K. with an aperture sight, though. I would also like to suggest that you try a Merit Iris disc that hooks onto your glasses. I use one for pistol shooting, and it really sharpens up the sight picture with handgun open sights!! [Big Grin]

[ 11-19-2003, 00:40: Message edited by: eldeguello ]