New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 cal groove dia?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
can someone tell me the groove dia of 45cal muzzleloaders?

Thanks

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al:
can someone tell me the groove dia of 45cal muzzleloaders?

Thanks

Depends on the gun.
Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Uh, thats easy!
A 44 revolver needs boolits from .451"-457"
A rifle/pistol needs boolits from .440"-445" if you use patches. If not, then a pistol/rifle needs a .451"-454" boolits in front of a feltwad (preferably pre greased!).
With more info the answer can be more specific!

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent, pick anyone, TC, Knight,CVA, I just need to know if it's .458, or .451, or something inbetween.

Just kicking a idea around, but all I have is 50cals, no 45's.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al:
Brent, pick anyone, TC, Knight,CVA, I just need to know if it's .458, or .451, or something inbetween.

Well, my personal .45 is .458 in the grooves, but I know of others that are .457.

It shouldn't matter a whole lot since muzzleloaders w/o rifled false muzzle attachments and special bullet starters cannot shoot groove diameter anyway. You will be restricted to bore diameter at most.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent:
quote:
Originally posted by Al:

Well, my personal .45 muzzleloader is .458 in the grooves, but I know of others that are .457.

It shouldn't matter a whole lot since muzzleloaders w/o rifled false muzzle attachments and special bullet starters cannot shoot groove diameter anyway. You will be restricted to bore diameter at most.

Brent

I should have added that most .45 roundball guns are probably much more deeply rifled.