New
Find
Notify
Tools

Austin & Halleck Info Request
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I purchased a 50 cal. Austin & Halleck in-line muzzle loader before discovering they had gone out of business. I purchased it used on Gunbroker without any information about it. Seeing as this is my first in-line muzzle loader rifle, I'm trying to determine a few things before I start shooting the rifle.

First, is the ignition system pictured below for my rifle designed for percussion caps or 209 primers? Not sure of the differences, if there are any, between one designed to hold percussion caps versus 209 primers.

Second, is the red tube (plastic straw) suppose to be in the breech plug? In examining it, there doesn't appear to be any holes for the flash of the cap or primer to make it to the base of the powder charge or pellet. Wasn't sure if the red tube was suppose to be there or not. Anyone have an Austin & Halleck or know for sure if it belongs in the breach plug? I tried pushing and pulling on it and it doesn't move.

Any information about this Austin & Halleck muzzle loader would greatly be appreciated. Both the barrel and action are nickel finished (silver). The stock is wood with a very high gloss finish and the barrel measures 26" in length.

Anyone know where or what type of bases will work on the action so I can mount a scope?

Thanks,
Kevin Confused

Posts: 212 | Location: Longmont, CO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried unscrewing the red tube? A percussion cap will fit onto a nipple, a 209 primer is inserted into the opening. Don't know if this is of any assistance.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I hadn't tried unscrewing it. I just tried and nothing happened. It won't rotate without tearing it up. Confused

The nipple statement does help. As there is no nipple for a percussion cap to fit onto - just a large hole followed by a smaller one down in the end piece. Based on their being no nipple, am I correct in assuming that I use 209's for ignition?

Kevin

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any luck finding a manual online but there is new 209 breech plug available here:
A&H 209 Kit

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oday450 - I saw the kit. I was trying to figure out if what I have will work with 209's since it looks quite a bit different than the one on that web site. I guess the safe bet would be to purchase the kit and not worry about what I have.

Thanks for the info. How about that red tube? Any idea what it might be? Confused

Kevin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a the model 420 i believe. it is a bolt action inline. it doesn't have any plastic in the firing system, tube or otherwise. i have the owners manual i believe. i will gladly copy and send it to you if i can find it. just pm me with your mailing info.
thanks,
max

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent to max(hm2).

Thanks,
Kevin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
kevin,
didn't get the pm. i'll try sending you one

max

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i believe the load for the rifle was using 100 grs of powder and a sabot bullet

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Austin and Halleck rifle, and what you have is a breech plug that has had the original percussion cap nipple removed and replaced by an adaptor to use 209 primers. The adapter can be unscrewed from the breech plug so that you can clean things well; just put two wrenches on the two sets of flat lands.

The plastic tube is not part of the set-up and should certainly be removed. When everything is cleaned up just use the long breech plug wrench you hopefully got with the rifle to first install the breech plug, then as a second step use the same wrench to install the primer holder into the breech plug. Be sure to use some breech plug lube both on the breech plug threads and the threads on the primer holder when you do this, as only a few shots will gum things up and make it VERY hard to remove again.

Hope this helps!

Rick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rick.

I didn't think the red plastic tube should be in there. Couldn't see how any fire from the primer could get through it to the powder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sold my A&H 420 about a year ago, but used a couple different breach plugs.

That red tube is not factory.....it looks like somebody drilled out the breach plug.

If in fact that plug has been drilled to a larger hole; I would NOT shoot the rifle until you get a factory plug.

PM me if you need a plug, I might be able to help

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pull that red plug - not sure what it accomplishes, but it's not right in any case.

Your rifle is set up for 209 primers. A&H rifles can be REALLY accurate, but they are hefty and weigh a lot - which I like as it settles the barrel right down when aiming offhand.

That 100g load sounds good - best way to find out is to go shoot it!

"Shoot hard, boys."

Posts: 115 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 17 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The information you have been given about your set up being for 209 primers is correct. So is the information about accuracy. My grandsons A&H shoots the Barnes TMZ 250 grain into just over an inch at 100 yds with a casual rest over the corner of the hood of the truck. He uses two 50 grain pyrodex pellets and a Winchester 209 primer. Like I said, scary accurate. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote