THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    C. Sharps Model 1875 Rifle in .45-70

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

C. Sharps Model 1875 Rifle in .45-70
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
I found this beauty at auction the other day:

Not a scratch on it. .45-70 Gov't.

26 inch, 1 in 18” twist, No. 1 heavy octagon barrel (one inch across the flats).

Just a shade over 10 and a quarter pounds.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13397 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifle....congrats!
I tried to order one just like it back in '88 and paid for it up front. Was told delivery in 30 to 60 days. That came and went, then was told 30 more days, then 120 more days. I cancelled and got my money back. Never fooled with C.Sharps again.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your trouble with C. Sharps.

I have an 1874 Sharps Bridgeport sporting rifle on order from them. I was quoted 10-12 months until delivery. Going on nine months now.

We'll see.

I liked this 1875, even though only five prototypes were ever made by the original company.

It is slim and trim compared to an 1874.

But I love the 1874s, too.

C. Sharps rifles seem extraordinarily well made and have a good reputation for accuracy.

If you like them, and want one, and don't want to wait, keep your eye on the second-hand market.

You can generally save at least a few hundred dollars to boot.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13397 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!

One of these days I will pick up a Sharps rifle of my own. I love the caliber.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lovely find!

Posts: 468 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I remember when C. Sharps first started talking those up in their newsletter. Simpler, lighter, less expensive were among the talking points. I've not seen one in the flesh, nor have I seen one of the 1877 target rifles.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16416 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Michael - Congratulations on a lovely rifle.

Bill - Come to Colorado and I will show you one of their 1877s in .45-90.

As for C. Sharps delivery, between various family members, we have purchased five rifles from them and had them build up two others on actions we provided and have typically gotten what we ordered within a month or two plus or minus of the promised delivery date. That is a whole lot better than most builders of what are essentially custom rifles. As to the 1875s, I have seen quite a few, but have not shot one yet.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
It's a bit of a stretch to call those 1875 Sharps "replicas," but the general layout of the action is the same. I think them handsome rifles and may yet own one.

Do they use the same funky firing pin of the 1874/77 or did they use the simpler angled pin of the A. Henry side hammers? I've never looked into it directly, but I saw a comment once that they (used to) break firing pins, so it's surely the U shaped arrangement. I've also read Shiloh has largely cured the problem with the firing pin, so maybe C. Sharps has, too, over the years.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NIce

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1875 is a nice rifle, I had one in 405 win for a number of years until someone wanted it more than I could justify keeping it based on the offer he made.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2