THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    ** 6/1/22 UPDATE ** Rare Single Shot Bolt Action BSA 310 Cadet - Finally Identified

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

** 6/1/22 UPDATE ** Rare Single Shot Bolt Action BSA 310 Cadet - Finally Identified
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Never before seen - bolt action single shot BSA 310 Cadet - what is it?

** 6/1/22 UPDATE ** Rare Single Shot Bolt Action BSA 310 Cadet - Finally Identified - See my last post.

Originsl Post .......

Hello All,

I have a couple dozen BSA cadet rifles, but this one is a first. Can't find any info about it.

Its not a 1906 model because those are all n 22 caliber. Also, this one has a sliding safety on the bolt handle and a somewhat similar but different rear sight.

No proof marks - no caliber mark - only a X01 stamped at the back rear of the left side of the receiver and on the stock. There is a P. Patent also on the left side of the receiver and a patent number on the rear sight. It has the Standard BSA address with a 1907 date, and the BSA logo on the barrel and remnants of the trade mark stamp on the stock. Neat folding front site protector / hood.

any one have any idea?

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Cool rifle, nice pick up, looks like a Cadet/trainer rifle but in .310.

Also looks like a shortened .303 barrel & then rechambered to .310 ?

Well done !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sarg:
Cool rifle, nice pick up, looks like a Cadet/trainer rifle but in .310.

Also looks like a shortened .303 barrel & then rechambered to .310 ?

Well done !
Hello Sarge,
Thanks for the reply.

Barrel dimensions are that of the 1906 22 caliber trainer, not that of a larger 303 barrel.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it may have started out with one of the rifles shown here:

https://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Model_2.html

How it became a .310 is the question. Rebarreled maybe? It's definitely a cool little rifle

Posts: 712 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:
I think it may have started out with one of the rifles shown here:

https://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Model_2.html

How it became a .310 is the question. Rebarreled maybe? It's definitely a cool little rifle
Hello rcraig,
Thanks for the reply.

I saw the page you referenced. This rifle has a different action all-to-gether, being longer, with open opposing locking lugs, and a safety on the bolt handle. The lack of proofs and caliber marking would indicate it was not "made-up" from an existing rifle. It has been suggested the X01 serial number may indicate some type of prototype pattern rifle. I'll be continuing my search for the answer.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello all,

Well, I finally received a response from a fellow on a different forum. He sent me this reference link.

https://www.rifleman.org.uk/Wa...#Experimental_rifles

"A notable continuation of the the B.S.A. company's work on the War Office Miniature type rifle involved experimentation with a larger calibre capable action."

The last rifle shown at the bottom of that link looks like a "later" experimental version of my rifle. It has a 1908 barrel date and it has a patent number. Mine has an earlier 1907 barrel date and has a "P.Patent" marking. (pending patent)

That rifle has many similar features to my rifle.

Similar features include; center fire single shot action, similar barrel mounted 1905 rear site (with patent reference to my site), similar folding hood front site, same open exposed forward locking lugs, similar bolt handle mounted sliding safety, similar single-loading sprung 'raceway' slightly below the bore-line, and a similar action body designed to afford the mounting of an aperture sight at the rear of the receiver.

research for additional information will continue.