Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger number 1 infatuation
 Login/Join

posted
I think it is the most beautiful and well balanced rifle I have ever held. I want one for range shooting, iron sights only, which in factory guise limits me to big bores. Which would be less taxing on my shoulder and wallet, a .45-70 , .375 H&H, or .405?

thanks,

Paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
45-70

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Paul...Do you reload or are you going to be shooting factory ammo?
In addition to the rifle cal. you listed Rugers web site shows the following "iron site" #1A's in cal.
.204,.243, .270, 7X57,30-06, and 9.3X74R(#1-S)...I would not get a big bore unless I reloaded and was planning on shooting cast bullets...
~If you are a reloader any of the cal. that you listed can be down loaded to manageable recoil....
~If you are shooting factory ammo pick a smaller cal. then check out who has the cheapest ammo in your area...
cheers..... Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally think that the #1 in 375 Holland is the most versatile of the three calibers you listed. I find the #1 to have some stock shape problem that makes the recoil terrible. Even in calibers that should not hurt that bad. My current #1 in 375 has a decent recoil pad on it and a mercury tube in the butt, that makes it tolerable but it also weighs 9lbs without a scope.

The 405 is a decent caliber, but the 45-70 is just an obsolete pumpkin roller. If you want a 45 in a #1 buy a 458 and load it down a bit.

Josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Clearly the 45/70 is less taxing on the wallet. And can be less taxing or more taxing on the shoulder. Basic Remington 405 gr. 45/70 is not horribly expensive or recoil laden. Shoots pretty nice in the #1 as well.

Then again, given any thought to a 30-06 in one?

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The No1 in 45/70 is quite a bit lighter and handier than the 375 and the 458.
The New 9,3x74R is like the 45/70, I have not handled a 405.

I have had a 45/70 for @25 years. I like it a lot.

Factory 300gr ammo killes deer great and does not recoil very hard at all. My loads with 350 and 400gr bullets will get your attention of the bench, but as usual in the field on game you do not notice.

Unless you need very long range, like a 7mm Mag or a 300 Mag I think one of the best hunting calibers in the No1 is the 9,3x74R.

I say this after using a 9,3x74R double rifle for several years.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has a #1 in 405 and the thing weighs at least 2# less than my #1 458. His 405 is almost painful to shoot.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I must not be able to navigate the Ruger web site well, the only iron sight models I saw were big bore. I would dearly love one in 7x57, that would be my ideal. I will have to check the web site again to see one online.

thank you for the help.

paul

Add - I was just on the website. 7x57, iron sights, full length forearm stock - I have found my gun. thank you all.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Franklin:
I must not be able to navigate the Ruger web site well, the only iron sight models I saw were big bore. I would dearly love one in 7x57, that would be my ideal. I will have to check the web site again to see one online.

thank you for the help.

paul

Add - I was just on the website. 7x57, iron sights, full length forearm stock - I have found my gun. thank you all.

That one is the RSI - has a 20" barrel. The 1A's all have iron sights too, and 22" barrels as well as cuts on the rib for scope rings..... . Very lightweight guns however! The 1A's come in .243 Win., 7X57mm Mauser, .270 Win. and .30/'06. I believe the cartridge choice in the RSI is the same......

There's a Ruger No. 1 group on Yahoo.com. It consists of No. 1 collectors and shooters and hunters as well. You might be interested....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Franklin:

thank you for the help.

paul

Excellent choice Paul!...I would like to get a 7X57 in a Light Wt. Sporter (reg.stock) myself, but have to wait until my bank account recovers from ordering a #1-S in 9.3X74R earlier this week.... Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, which is JUST that, the #1B is one of the three prettiest single shot rifles in production today. I would love to own one with a 28" half octagon barrel in 9,3x74R.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have a life long love affair with the Ruger number one myself.

I have had the following calibers: 300 Winchester, 270 Weatherby, 30-06, 25-06, 338, 405, 375, and 45-70. Only the 300 and the 45-70 were ill behaved shooters. The 375 was unreal accurate. It was a stainless one.

Right now I am without one and longing for a 7x57 in the International model.

The single shots I have right now are a Blaser K95 and a Browning High Wall BCPR in 45-70.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one day ruger will make an RSI in 405, or 45-70.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mean kinda like this? Had this done in the mid 70's. Shot it at the Coors match in Golden, CO in the early 80's (unfortunately-one of those barrels that started walking 12" or so after a dozen rounds through it--Coors was a waste of time)and someone that worked for Ruger came over and looked at it real closely. Ruger came out with the RSI the next year. I guess the RSI could be due to my gun. Really should send it back to get rebarreled with a decent barrel.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I have 4 No. 1s at this time, none of them are going away anytime soon, they're all keepers (totally factory).

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
one day ruger will make an RSI in 405, or 45-70.

Keep dreaming!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote