THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    B-78 in 22-250 want recommendations

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B-78 in 22-250 want recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted
Guy I work with has a B-78 in 22-250. It has the octogon bbl not the heavy round bbl. We are discussing him selling it to me but neither of us know what it is worth. (It does have a scope but I can put a value on that). I haven't seen the rifle, but assume it is in 95% or better condition.

Here is another concern.

Long ago I owned a B-78 in 22-250 (Hvy. Rnd bbl) which I purchased new. I experienced the hammer falling from the "safety" notch onto the firing pin when the under lever was moved to open the action. This would occur about once in every 25 attempts to open the action. I even had a negligent discharge in the basement of my house because of this. [Eek!]

Anyone else ever have this happen to them? Was this a "known" problem or did I just get the "one" with the problem?

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's worth $650-$850 if it really is in the condition you say it's in.

The problem with the B78 was that if your thumb sliped when letting up the hammer,it'd go off.That's why they discontinued them and then reinvented them with a different hammer mechinism and called it the 1885 (they also replaced the nice Monte Carlo stock with a straigh griped stock-bad idea if you ask me).

Brian.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
The sequence of events for the problem I experienced and replicated for a gunsmith was:

1) lower the lever as if to load a cartridge.

2) close the lever of course the hammer is now cocked.

3) Using your thumb, and trigger finger, lower the hammer to the "safety" notch.

4) totally remove your right hand from the rifle (if you are right handed) holding the rifle only by the forearm with your left hand.

5) using only your right thumb and index finger and touching only the last 1/2" on the lever with the right hand (the left hand is still holding the forearm), begin to slowly lower the lever.

6) at this time the hammer would fall the last 1/4" or so from its position in the "safety" notch and strike the firing pin.

This sequence of events was repeated for any who cared to observe or give it a try in a gunsmith shop in Cody Wyo. in 1983, numerous times.

The failure would occure just about one in every twenty-five trys.

To make sure this description of events is quite clear, this failure would happen without any contact with the hammer as you were lowering the lever.

Could it have been the lever did not completely close or could not get to the totally closed position? I don't know, I traded this rifle solely because of its tendency to drop the hammer that last 1/4" from the safety notch when opening the action.

Imagine if you had loaded up to go hunting, walked around looking for game with the rifle loaded and the hammer at rest in the safety notch, then upon returning to your vehicle go to open the action and have this gun misfire. Not to comfy of a feeling if you know what I mean!

Anyone who owns a B-78 ever experience this?

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I have owned several B78's and M1885's. My experience with the B78 hammer problems has all been a result of improper trigger adjustment or damage. People mess with the four external adjustments on the trigger and can't get it back to factory specs. Even with just one adjustment screw, I've had better results tuning the newer M1885 trigger compared to the B78.
Respectfully,
Larry
P.S. If you want to sell the B78 drop me a line.

Posts: 72 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: 27 November 2002Reply With Quote