New
Find
Notify
Tools

ruger #1 35 whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has any one else got one these #1's in 35 whelen? I just got one and it is a sharp looking rifle. I have not had any time to do a lot of load development but have not had real good luck with any of my standard handloads for my other whelens. The remington 200 gr factory loads seem to shoot fine though. As soon as I get a better recoil pad fitted I will try some 250gr loads and see how they do. I also noticed while cleaning the barrel it has two tight places in the bore, one under the sling barrel band and one under the front sight where it is shrunk onto the barrel. It may become a canidate for fire lapping to see if I can remove these tight spots.

Jerry White

Posts: 44 | Location: Maine | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I bought one last month, and I agree that it's a sharp looking rifle- I also just acquired a tang saftey Ruger 77 in 35 Whelen. I think Ruger should make stainless and walnut and option; the stainless laminate doesn't do it for me. I have not shot mine yet so I don't know how it will shoot. Let us know if you find the magic load and I'll do the same. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
The only whelen I own is a custom mauser but it like .225 sierra bt's. I agree stainless and walnut would be perfection on a #1 espacially here in AK. In the mean time I still love my blue and walnut #1's.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My new 35 whelen #1 is headed back to Ruger. I had noticed while sighting in the rifle the primers were not being hit very hard, did not give it much thought until the other day when a nice buck came out into the clear cut I was hunting, got the cross hairs settled in on his shoulder and pulled the trigger, CLICK. I eased the action open, recocked and tried again, CLICK. By now the deer is looking my way, I fumbled around and got another round out of my pocket chamber it and try again CLICK. The deer walked off and I headed back to the truck a very unhappy hunter.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I just scoped mine with a Leupold M8 4X. As suggested here I sent my rings back to Ruger and they exchanaged them for the double extended. Now the scope sits where it's supposed to. It's time to shoot it to make sure it works. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry W: I have three Ruger No. 3's (actually, one is a Ruger No. 2 now that it has Ruger No. 1 wood on it). I had EXACTLY the same problem with my first one. So have a lot of other people.

The easiest way to fix that is to buy a HEAVIER Wolff hammer spring at Brownell's. Don't remember the number, but I have changed it on my other two when I got them and never had a repeat of the problem. It doesn't seem to make the trigger any heavier, but the stock trigger is nothing to brag about anyway.

BTW, I have also seen the same Wolff spring package on a couple of gunshow tables and both of them were relabeled saying "original Ruger spring". Looks like that is a common problem.

Posts: 212 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a follow up to my original post, my 35 Whelen #1 was returned to Ruger and had to have the entire breech block assembly replaced. Still have not had it out to try since since the repairs as I have too many projects going on right now.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Did they address the problem with the tight spots in the barrel.

Is your rifle one of the walnut and stainless .35 whelen's. I've only seen one #1 in that cal and it was wood and stainless. I fell in love with it but the price tag was over $1300.00.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AKshooter,

They did not do anything about the barrel, but I intend to fire lap it. Yes it is one of the stainless and walnut rifles and it is sharp looking. I paid just over $900 for it last fall. There is a real good write up on this gun over at http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_No1_35Whelen.htm.
Jerry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I missed out on these rifles Frowner...If anyone knows were one may be purchased please PM me...Thanks!
Jeff from his "GunBlast" reveiw said that these rifles weigh 6 1/4 lbs....that seems quite light for a Ruger #1...Can any of you fellows confirm what the weight is on these rifles?....Also I'm wondering what the twist rate is as a cast boolit shooter that is a concern with me....Thanks for any info... Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what a great rifle. you buy it then you have to rebuild it to make it work.... or send it back for the factory to try to fix.

what's wrong with this picture .... duh !

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Low Wall,
The weight listed is correct, luckly this rifle fits me quite well but even so the recoil is stout. I plan on using this #1 for cast bullets as well, would like to have Veral Smith at LBT cut a mold weighing 220-250gr depending on what my throat impressions look like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JerryW:
Low Wall,
The weight listed is correct, luckly this rifle fits me quite well but even so the recoil is stout. I plan on using this #1 for cast bullets as well, would like to have Veral Smith at LBT cut a mold weighing 220-250gr depending on what my throat impressions look like.

Thanks for the wt. information Jerry...Do you happen to know the twist rate?....By chance I managed to find one of these #1/35 Whelens...Now I must wait for the export/import paper work and I'm being told that I may have it by the end of the year...I live in Canada.....Hope to be testing loads for it this time next year....Let me know how your throat impression comes out and what type of bullet you get from Verl....I may order a mold from him based on your throat impression if the twist isn't to fast for the boolit weight....I have read on other forums that the twist rate is any where from 1:12 to 1:16....nobody really seems to know Roll Eyes
Cheers,
mic