New
Find
Notify
Tools

problems cocking my Encore!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just finished cleaning the rifle after testing some loads. After reassebling it and tightening all the screws I function tested it before puting it away, and the hammer wouldn't come to full cock. After tearing it down and playing with it for a while, I figured out that it has to to with how much I torque down the stock bolt. Anyting more than about 5 in/lb and the gun won't cock.

I didn't have this problem before today, and I've never had it with any of the other Encore or Contender frames I've had as rifle's or pistols.

If it helps, the gun is wearing a Boyds laminate stock and a 26" TC factory 375 H&H barrel.

What could be the problem?

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
If the bolt through the pistol grip is too long the hammer will not cock. Been there, done that, and got an assortment of different sizes to find on the right length. Maybe torquing it as much as you did was just enough to interfere with the mechanism.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try another washer between the bolt head and the stock. If the problem goes away it's an overlong bolt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You were both dead on. I played around with different washers and managed to make it work.

I think what happend was that the bolt "crushed" the stock while shooting the heavier loads that I was working on at the range. This let the bolt go through just far enough to get in the way. Thanks for you help!

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that you got it back in action.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote