New
Find
Notify
Tools

ruger #1 in 219 donalson
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
got this ruger yesterday and pick it up Saturday. has a set trigger and nice wood. original rib was replaced with one with better spacing. also got dies, brass, and some loaded rounds. spent $800 think I did ok. what say y'all? pics when I can. D O M I T !

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you did great. I don't know much about that chambering, but at that price you can't go wrong. Can't wait to see photos

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for posting pics for me pacecars

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Sounds like you did great. I don't know much about that chambering, but at that price you can't go wrong. Can't wait to see photos
. pics. up now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brass is the challenge but you have some, along with dies. I think you did very well.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
If you go to make brass, finding a die to take the diameter down in increments is required.

The gunsmith I bought my Remington Rolling Block from made a forming die for me and it works to form two intermediate increments.

Gun was built and shot by another crusty old fart gunsmith (deceased) in NE NM back in the 60s.

I need to dig that gun out and shoot it some.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good morning, Folks;

Brass forming may be something of a pain, but it is formed from the .38-55 cartridge family (.219 Zipper //.25-35 // .30-30 // .38-55). Lots of that around.

Y'all be good;

horsefly

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Brass is fairly easy to make from 30/30 brass. Redding make a form die.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by domit:
got this ruger yesterday and pick it up Saturday. has a set trigger and nice wood. original rib was replaced with one with better spacing. also got dies, brass, and some loaded rounds. spent $800 think I did ok. what say y'all? pics when I can. D O M I T !

I've got a Redding 219 Wasp form die that I'll probably never use. It's yours for the shipping cost if you can use it.

John

Posts: 553 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
be sure which wasp you have there are at least 4 varieties when i form i use 2 form die and probably lose 25%

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gas gunner thanks for the offer, but I have everything I need to make brass. I actually bought the gun to build something different. pic. when done

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks again Pacecars for posting the pictures. now a 3030 , work done by mr. Roger Renner. 22 inch br. engraving by him as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You did well, the action alone is worth more than $800!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote