THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Best loads for Ruger #1 in 300 win

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best loads for Ruger #1 in 300 win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am buying a new Ruger # 1 in 300 Winchester. Ive been told that this is a very strong action and would like to take advantage of that strength in reloading.
I would really appreciate information on the best loads for the Sierra molly coated bullets I'm thinking of using. Please mention if they are max loads as I am reasonably new to reloading and want to be safety oriented but also get the best "bang" for my buck.
110 gr.
125 gr.
165 gr.
180 gr.
240 gr.

I live in Northern B.C. and the local gunny shop has Alliant and IMR powders available.

Posts: 78 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first thing to do is to start with a suggested load and work up carefully. That cartridge is so powerful that it will not matter much if the load is 100 fps this way or that.

Check your fired cases for insipiant head separations with a feeler hook made from a wire with the end bent into a 90 degree angle. Feel inside each case near the bottom side wall for a separation ring.

Learn to set your FL die so that you don't push the shoulder back too far. I had a rifle like your getting for a long time and it had a good headspace. I was lucky with that one but even then the cases don't last forever.

As to the loads you can call Sierra's 800 # and ask them or look at www.imrpowder.com

I just looked at Sierra's site and the only .30 caliber bullets with moly are Matchkings. Also I just called Sierra and asked them if I should use moly for my new .220 Swift barrel and they said no. That the only benefit would be extended cleaning intervals that might apply only to match shooting.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
I'm with Savage99 on the moly bullets. Unless you're trying to shoot benchrest competition with this rifle I would avoid moly. I can't quite recall, but I believe you can't just switch from moly coated to naked without seriously cleaning out the barrel. And when you go back to moly you have re-do the whole barrel impregnation routine. Seems like a lot of work for another +/- 100fps.

Don't forget some of the 200 and 220 grain options from both Nosler and Sierra. Also, I'm pretty sure the 240gr bullet is meant for rifles chambered extra-long, like 3.6" instead of 3.340".

The 220gr Nosler Partition did well with 66gr of RL-22 and a WLRM primer. That's about as much power as you'll get from a 300WinMag. I stared this test at 64gr of RL-22 and didn't have any pressure problems.

My rifle also likes AA3100, though I don't see this powder mentioned by anyone else.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote