New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Encore
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have decided to purchase my first Encore and I need some advice. I have found out I can purchase the receiver and stock without the barrel. I want to purchase a stainless steel model in 25-06(I have other bolt actions that fill the other gaps). Should I buy the barrel from T/C or go to an outside source and if so whom would you recomend?
Is the camofloged stock wooden of synthetic?
Can you use Weaver style bases on the receiver?
Thank you in advance for your help. John

One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
http://www.eabco.com/tcref.html

I can't speak for them personally having not done business with them yet myself. But you can check them out anyway for info...?
I bookmarked their website because I am interested in a T/C pistol myself soon, and may try one of the (eabco) barrels for it.

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"

Posts: 394 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several Contenders.The factory barrels are good stuff.I would assume that Encore barrels are also.How ever if you want quality off market Bulberry or J D Jones SSK are fine Barrels also.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should I buy the barrel from T/C or go to an outside source and if so whom would you recomend?

I have multiple Encore and Contender barrels and have had problems with only three, all of which were fixed to my satisfaction by T/C. The .224 caliber centerfire Encores I've shot were all good for 0.5 to less than 1 inch groups off the bench at 100 yards; even the 223 Remington AI handgun. The 375 H&H Magnum barrel I had did about 1.5 to 2 inches and my .308 calibers less than 1 inch. A factory Encore 25/06 barrel should do better than an inch with handloads.

quote:
Is the camofloged stock wooden of synthetic?

It's synthetic and I like mine a lot.

quote:
Can you use Weaver style bases on the receiver?

Yes you can and at least for cartridges with significant recoil, Weaver bases and Burris Signature ZEE rings are my choice. I use 3 rings with some cartridges.

I like Stratton Custom Weaver bases for cartridges with significant recoil. T/C only sells aluminum Weaver bases which I'm not enamored with. T/Cs Duorings look nice and work fine for cartridges without much recoil. I've even had a set of Duorings on a 460 S&W Magnum which, to my surprise, haven't shot loose yet. If you get a real heavy hitter like a handgun in 500 S&W Magnum, I'd recommend SSK Industries T'SOB mount.

I don't have any barrels made by any companies other than Thompson/Center but if I did, I would go with a barrel by SSK Industries or Specialty Pistols. Some custom barrels don't work with T/Cs synthetic stocks; since I like synthetic stocks for hunting, I haven't bought their barrels. I've heard Bullberry (the name may have changed) makes good barrels but I've also heard that customer service there can be quite inadequate so I wouldn't buy one.

As far as economical barrels are concerned, if you visit the sell boards of the various forums, sometimes great deals will come up on receivers, barrels, etc. for Encores. If you don't want so much of a wait, visit www.gunbroker.com since there are decent deals on Encore receivers there on a fairly regular basis.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote