Find
Notify
Tools

I have a #1, Now what?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
I am having a hard time deciding what I am going to do to my #1. I plan on CCH the action, sling band, front and rear sight ramp.
Fist question, should I have it engraved? My other debate is if I should nickle plate the barrel on or should I slow rust blue?
Last thing, English or Turkish walnut?

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1086 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered shooting it?

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Shot it plenty, I just have the need to tinker with my guns. It could be my obsessive compulsive disorder.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1086 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An ambitious program for your No.1 and Turnbull Restorations can take care of most of it in fine fashion. Any engraving needs to be done first and then send for CCH, rust blue, etc.
Check out their web site and you can see some examples of pretty much what you are thinking of doing to the rifle. It will be pricey, but first class workmanship.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thecanadian:
I am having a hard time deciding what I am going to do to my #1. I plan on CCH the action, sling band, front and rear sight ramp.
Fist question, should I have it engraved? My other debate is if I should nickle plate the barrel on or should I slow rust blue?
Last thing, English or Turkish walnut?

It sounds like you are dedicated to "bling". That's a matter or personal taste. But, IMO.....hardly complimentary to the design of that rifle.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I dont think that I consider myself dedicated to "bling". I have a whole safe full of what others would describe as ugly guns, all about function not aesthetics. I just want one gun in my collection to be nice looking.

---Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Hell, do it all...except the nickel barrel. No reason one cant doll up one of Rugers BEST GUNs! (pun intended)

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one of my favorite rifles to redo - have fun, imagination is your only guide

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the mods you list CCH of the receiver and lever appeals to me the most. I have a #3 that I would like to have CCH'ed but have heard rumors of problems doing this to Ruger castings... Ruger Blackhawk revolver frames in particular. Any truth to this?

Jon

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I have heard the same thing, though I have seen numerous #1's that have had CCH done to them. If it turns out I cant have CCH done, I might see if Cyanide color hardening is an option.

---Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turnbull mfg has a #1 they color case hardened on their website, so it can be done.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's mine, .270 by Luxus...

http://www.luxusarms.com/Romagnolo3.jpg

Matt Romagnuolo

Posts: 100 | Location: All over, US Army | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Thats your gun!!! I think thats the same gun I was looking at when I decided that I would start this project. Really a fantastic looking rifle. Only thing I am going to add is to CCH the front sight and the band.

---Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It came out really nice, both the wood and metalwork are fantastic. Luxus sent it out to a guild gunsmith for the case color. I have two Turnbull CCH lever guns and the work is comparable...all three are beautiful. Turnbull does #1s too...saw a great one they were working on when I picked up a gun there. Their shop is incredible and they have a couple of racks full of stunning lever guns and side by side shotguns.

Very, very happy with both Turnbull and Luxus and found their prices and delivery times reasonable for the great work they do.

Matt Romagnuolo

Posts: 100 | Location: All over, US Army | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give Turnbull a call and they will gladly discuss any concerns you may have regarding the NO.1 or others as well. If I recall correctly they are now offering CCH on select bolt actions as well. Had them do items for me and was advised that if you do the initial polishing, do not polish to mirror finish, but something less than say 400grit. Reason I was told for this is that the colors "richer" in appearance. Might ask them about this if you do call.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote