THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Fraser single shot with a tang safety.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fraser single shot with a tang safety.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently stumbled onto an original Fraser single shot action, the one with the side lever, with a tang safety. Apparently they are pretty rare, as most Frasers did not have the tang safety. It is being reassembled now. One thing I’ll have to figure out is stocking it. it has a stock bolt that interferes with the safety, so Fraser cut a slot in the center of the stock bolt for the safety to pass through. Would anyone have photos of a complete rifle with the tang safety? This one looks like it may have been a .303 from the rim marks on the breech block.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2144 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The majority of Fraser falling block rifles were built with a top tang safety, only the very early ones had the safety inside the trigger bow. The design is such that the safety works in a cut out in the stock bolt. There are many pictures on google of Fraser falling block rifles as well as those in the two Kirkton books. I have a stock pattern taken from an original Fraser falling block rifle. You might look at some of the recent builds done the the new Steve Earle actions as well.

https://www.steveearleproducts.com/fraser.html

Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that’s going to be a great build, what a true classic. However, I know nothing about how to fix that stock dilemma. Would be great in a .300 H&H Flanged. Best wishes.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m probably not going to build it because I’m left handed. There is a possibility that I can get a left hand reproduction lever from Steve Earle, but then it may make more sense to sell this one and buy a left hand Steve Earle action.

Posts: 2144 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i Sold the gun and ordered a 300 Win Hagn barreled action. I already have a 223 Hagn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote