Find
Notify
Tools

Preparing for the 'second' shot
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodford
posted
I ordered my first Ruger No 1 today in .375H&H. I figure if I order the gun maybe the dream to hunt in Africa will come a little sooner.

My concern is after I have mounted a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36 scope how will this affect removing the spent cartridge and reloading a new one? Essentially, will the scope be in the way?

Thanks.

Posts: 35 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the dream will come a little sooner, but not the trip.

You should not need a second shot, but to answer your question,

No, the scope will not be in the way.
S/S

Posts: 30 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: 30 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the purchase. You might want to look at Leupold VXIII in 1.75 X 6 with the heavy duplex. That's what I have on my #1, 9.3 X 74R, mounted in Warne QD Rings. I really like the "heavy hair" for quick target accusition. My scope set up poses no problems in the reloading senerio. I also just ordered a buttstock cartridge carrier from Dick Murray Custom Leather, (pricy at $60.00) but should be just the ticket to speed reloading up a tick.

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by Woodford:
I ordered my first Ruger No 1 today in .375H&H. I figure if I order the gun maybe the dream to hunt in Africa will come a little sooner.

My concern is after I have mounted a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36 scope how will this affect removing the spent cartridge and reloading a new one? Essentially, will the scope be in the way?

Thanks.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
If you feel the need for a fast follow-up shot try one of these:

I've used it and it works fine.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodford:

Thanks.

Absolutely not! What often happens is that the edge of the rim of a strongly ejected case can hit the front edge of the safety and actually bounce back into the chamber. You can set your ejector spring to as soft or as hard an ejection as you want. You can even set it so all it does is pull the case loose from the chamber so it will fall to the ground when you raise the muzzle. But I have never had a scope interfere with the ejection on a Number 1 from .25/'06 up to a .45/70 size case rim. They come right out! If you are about to shoot at dangerous game, you can hold an extra round between the fingers of your left hand, and shove it right into the chamber as soon as the empty comes flying past your nose! I carry my ammo in a cartridge sleeve on the right side of the buttstock. But that wrist strip looks good too. With a little practice, a No. 1 is almost as fast as a bolt-action on the second and subsequent shots!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert, and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn but... I tilt the rifle to the right when I work the lever and that allows the empty to fall out of the action. I carry four rounds of extra ammo in an Alaskan Guide sling, when I get ready to shoot I catch the elastic band on the sling with the little finger of my left hand and that rotates the ammo toward the rifle. Then when my hand clears the lever from ejecting the spent cartridge I can grab one of the extras from the sling and drop it in the action of the slightly tilted rifle. (whew, it's faster than it sounds Big Grin ).

hth

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I installed tall scope mounts on my 45-70 to give added clearance for reloading, but it will work with standard mounts.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I carry another shell in shirts with a pencil loop in the pocket. If I am using my singles I will only wear such shirts. Super fast for reloading. The sling mounted loops are not as easy as you would think to use.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Rick in tilting the rifle to the right as you eject the spent round. You should try and find a copy of the January-February 1976 #43 issue of Rifle Magazine. There is an excellent article by Al Miller on page 22 on speed loading the single shot rifle. Try Wolfe Publishing to see if you can either get either the magazine or a copy of the article. FWIW, Mr. Miller missed the tilting of the rifle to the right. I'll be perfectly honest here, with a little bit of practice using dummy rounds, hunting with the #1 is no handicap. I've been doing it since 1975.
Another thing Mr. Miller did not mention is a butt cuff holding the spare rounds. While most of his methods work reasonably well, some are not so good if one is shooting from a sitting position. Using a butt cuff allows onw to do a rapid reload from the sit, should one be needed.
Anyway, try to get a copy of that article. It'll save you a lot of time figuring how to get started. Another thing, use the recoil to work for you. As the rifle rears back, work the lever and tilt to the right. Works for me.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done a lot of hunting with a Ruger No1, other single shots and double rifles. I always put a butt stocdk shell carrier on the rifle. My favorite is one made by Murray Leather.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I have done a lot of hunting with a Ruger No1, other single shots and double rifles. I always put a butt stocdk shell carrier on the rifle. My favorite is one made by Murray Leather.

Me too but not by Murray Leather.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

When you hunt with a Ruger #1 it only takes one shot so why the 2nd shot unless there are more animals? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I love my #1

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote